Dual vs Hardtail vs 26 or 29

doppelganger

If you want to race marathons and some XC competitively then I reckon 29er hardtail.

If you want to race XC and super technical stuff then 26er hardtail.

If you value comfort and confidence over a weight/time penalty then hit a dual susser - 29er if you really want a comfo no brainer ride. 26er duallie if you want a snappy and soft machine.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myth, I reckon. Look at Andrew Mclean and Yolande Speedy. Neither of them can actually be declared a bean pole.

In my inexpert opinion, the big difference is in the ability of the bike to roll and its manoeuvrability. If I had to get a bike now, I'd like to try a 29er HT. I don't like full-sussers personally.

No but they have skill levels par most people, I can vouch that once you are above 1.8m a 29'er just feels better, and if you get the right one, it destroys the myth that they suck in tight spaces.

that said most 29'ers arent built for their handling capabilities they are built for marathons, but there are ones on the market that kick the crap out of 26" bikes on a trail, Rocky mountain, Santa Cruze, Elsworth to mention a few that just got the whole geometry right, even though they arent the lightest coaches in the shed.

I am 1.75m tall and ride a Giant Anthem 29er medium, it is super fast and smooth and if you worry about downhills, this machine will make you feel like youre flying down rough downhills.

No but they have skill levels par most people, I can vouch that once you are above 1.8m a 29'er just feels better, and if you get the right one, it destroys the myth that they suck in tight spaces.

that said most 29'ers arent built for their handling capabilities they are built for marathons, but there are ones on the market that kick the crap out of 26" bikes on a trail, Rocky mountain, Santa Cruze, Elsworth to mention a few that just got the whole geometry right, even though they arent the lightest coaches in the shed.

That depends who will be riding the bike.

I hopped on a Cannondale SL29 hard tail today at a bike shop. I enjoyed the feel of it, and yes I only rode it in the parking lot...so can't say exactly how it will feel off road. The lightness of the bike was a nice feel...my Merida can lose a few grams :eek:

I don't ride competitions so I am not cared for scraping 1 sec off my best time. I just want to enjoy the ride.

But DS 29ers are quite expensive, that just throws even more complication to the party.

I have 26' HT and a 29 DS. For me each one has it's place. I've tried my DS 29'er at Rietvlei and it did not feel right for me, felt clumsy and sluggish in the twisty bits and corners. But then on a more open and flowing course it kicked A$$, my ave is noticeably improved.

So for now i'll stick to 29 for longer marathon type riding and 26 for XC.

I have all three, 26hardtail, 26 dual and 29er hardtail.

Remember that a 29er hardtail is hard, its nothing like a dual suspension 26er. I had 2 29er hardtails so far, one was a R45000 carbon bike, the other one I have now is a alu Cannondale flash which I like a thousend times more than the more expensive carbon bike.

If you want lots of comfort go dual, when i went from my 26 hardtail to the dual the bike almost felt dead, it was not as responsive as the hardtail, but that is what happens with a dual but it was like sitting on a lazyboy, super comfortable.

I ride my 29er flash 1 now the most. But you are a tad heavier than me I weigh 64kg so I dont now how that would change the situation.

Scotty now that is interesting. I was hoping somebody that rides Rietvlei would comment. I will be doing most of my riding there for safety reasons. Not many places I can ride alone where i stay.

I will have to try and see for myself I guess, I just find bike shops unhelpful. They seem to want to push the stock on the floor in stead of trying to help me find what will work nicely for me.

Remember that a 29er hardtail is hard, its nothing like a dual suspension 26er. I had 2 29er hardtails so far, one was a R45000 carbon bike, the other one I have now is a alu Cannondale flash which I like a thousend times more than the more expensive carbon bike.

Have to agree, I also have the Flash 29 alu,and the best hardtail I've ridden by a mile.Also find alu frames softer and more comfortable than their carbon "weightwatcher" cousins.

I ride Rietvlei 2-3 times a week, I have 26HT, 26FS and 29HT - I am 1.86m and weigh 88kg's (now ;) )

I doubt my opinion would cut much weight here (since I am a wimp compared to the current XCO crop) but we can chat some time!

I ride Rietvlei 2-3 times a week, I have 26HT, 26FS and 29HT - I am 1.86m and weigh 88kg's (now ;) )

I doubt my opinion would cut much weight here (since I am a wimp compared to the current XCO crop) but we can chat some time!

Where is your 29er dually? BTW its nonsense that you need a hardtail to ride hard, riding hard is about how hard you pedal, but yes a hardtail rides hard on your arse so just get a 29er dually 120mm if you want super smooth/ trail or 100mm if you wanna go fast and smooth.

Thanx Big Ben ...I am no great stakes either...so any advice will be great. I started riding in November last year and have not done much riding. Hoping that will change now...

Where is your 29er dually? BTW its nonsense that you need a hardtail to ride hard, riding hard is about how hard you pedal, but yes a hardtail rides hard on your arse so just get a 29er dually 120mm if you want super smooth/ trail or 100mm if you wanna go fast and smooth.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/111494-post-your-best-photos-taken-with-a-phone/page__st__160

My wife says that's enough bikes for one oke apparently (and the road bikes are not there ;)

Thanx Big Ben ...I am no great stakes either...so any advice will be great. I started riding in November last year and have not done much riding. Hoping that will change now...

We can meet at Rietvlei some time for coffee, will PM my number!