Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin & tubeless

yetiboy

I currenty ride Schwalbe Racing Ralph UST and really like them, but need a new front tyre. People have told me to get the snakeskin version, which I see is not UST but tubeless ready. What does this mean? I have DT Swiss Tricon 1550 Rims, have run Conti Mountain King non tubeless before with no issues. Does it simply mean the beading is not UST compliant so will require a bit more sealant to get it sealed? Anything else I should know?

I currenty ride Schwalbe Racing Ralph UST and really like them, but need a new front tyre. People have told me to get the snakeskin version, which I see is not UST but tubeless ready. What does this mean? I have DT Swiss Tricon 1550 Rims, have run Conti Mountain King non tubeless before with no issues. Does it simply mean the beading is not UST compliant so will require a bit more sealant to get it sealed? Anything else I should know?

Regarding RR what Big JD said, might be slightly harder to install and inflate up.

I'm not convinced about the snake skin benefit but thats just based on seeing them never used a snake skin tyre,

Have a look at the Rocket ron, also available with SS and I see they also introduced a Rapid Rob now...

I'm running the 2012 Racing Ralph snakeskin tubeless with no problems. The tubeless ready means the bead wont pop off the rim, the rubber of the tyre is not as thick as the full UST version though (meaning it weighs less but you have to use sealant). Snakeskin (reinforced sidewalls) is recommended however as RR have really thin sidewalls and you'll be taking a chance running the standard tyres without SS tubeless...

I am using Racing Ralph Evo's, they are even lighter than the snakeskins, but you have to use sealant.

Don't think there is a big difference between the snakeskin and the UTS in terms of weight

At first I was unsure how long the tyre would last vs. the Maxxis Crossmark UST I used previously but they are tough, have done numerous rides over rocky terraign with no punctures, will never go back to UST tyres again.

Snakeskin is only available on the Evo range of tyres from Schwalbe, i.e. only on their most expensive range.

Snakeskin is (as Gambit said) a layer in the sidewall of the tyres for better sidewall protection, particularly from rock cuts which Racing Ralphs are particularly susceptible to. You also get Double Defense on some tyre models and sizes which is an additional layer under the rolling surface or tread for improved puncture protection. Both these options are only available on tubeless ready (TR) tyres.

Tubeless or UST tyres have an airtight inner liner in the tyre and are designed to run without sealant. Seeing as in this country (well most places anyway) we have lots of rocks and/or thorns, anyone who runs tubeless tyres always puts sealant in anyway. The TR tyres should be run with sealant. So in the case with Schwalbe tyres I see no reason as all to use the UST versions when the TR version is quite bit lighter and offers at least the same - if not better - sidewall protection. In the case of the Snakeskin or DD versions that is.

As preference I use the Ralph on the back with either Rocket Ron, or if you want something beefier and more "Mountain Kingy", a Nobby Nic on the front.

I can't say the Ralph's have the greatest longevity as tyres go, and certainly nowhere near what the Monorails or other Maxxis tyres have, but they are quite a bit lighter and lighter where really it counts - on the outside of your wheels. With the Ron or the Nic on the front, I've had no issues - my last Ron I've had for 14 months and whilst looking a bit skanky is still more than capable. In the same time frame I went through 3 Ralphs. Well one had got a major sidewall cut when brand new, so pretty sure any other tyre would also have failed.