Testing for doping in tennis v cycling

Myra

Almost each time a non-cyclist finds out I cycle, comments are made about how 'dirty' cycling is. I just always say that more testing is done in cycling so more people are caught. :D

Any way, I came across this graph regarding out of competition testing and found it quite interesting. Would be great if there was something like this in respect of all major sports.

http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/question-of-commitment.html

post-664-0-77419200-1332870612.jpg

I just always say that more testing is done in cycling so more people are caught. :D

Not really. Your stats are empty.

Do a search here, chunky posted about the amounts of something like epo that a pro cyclists takes and the frequency of administration compared to the pro athletes in other sports.

That's the problem.

Just because there's more testing doesn't mean its cleaner ! Riders still have ways around doping tests.

Sure. I'm not saying that cycling is cleaner than any other sport though. I'm saying it appears dirtier (to non-cyclists that don't follow these things and just hear about the scandals) because there are a lot of positives. And there are a lot of positives (more than in any other sports) because there is a lot of testing (more than in other sports). And I don't think that other athletes have more difficulty in getting around the (less frequent) testing than cyclists do.

Any way, its just an interesting comparison.

Not really. Your stats are empty.

Do a search here, chunky posted about the amounts of something like epo that a pro cyclists takes and the frequency of administration compared to the pro athletes in other sports.

That's the problem.

Like what I said would be great? Will definitely do a search - thanks!

Like what I said would be great?

What you say sort of makes sense, cause they do test cyclists more. I've never heard of this "biological passport" and having to log your whereabouts with the testers 6 months in advance with any other sport.

But I think mostly that's a knee jerk reaction by wada to combat the issue.

What you say sort of makes sense, cause they do test cyclists more. I've never heard of this "biological passport" and having to log your whereabouts with the testers 6 months in advance with any other sport.

But I think mostly that's a knee jerk reaction by wada to combat the issue.

The whereabouts thing has been brought up in other sports, but was widely rejected by sportmen's or athletes' unions. A human rights defence is often brought up. I guess cyclists aren't human.

I cannot believe for one minute that tennis players would ever dope.

I mean the Williams sisters clearly got those feminine bodies from knocking a few balls about and a healthy diet high in orange juice........

The whereabouts thing has been brought up in other sports, but was widely rejected by sportmen's or athletes' unions. A human rights defence is often brought up. I guess cyclists aren't human.

Try this on for size:

Kroon is also facing his own problems with the UCI and the anti-doping programme, as his file now states that he has missed two anti-doping controls. “And this is too ridiculous for words,” the 36-year-old said.

It is not his fault, he claimed. In earlier years the Flemish Community sent out an email every quarter, reminding riders to fill out their whereabouts. This year they did not, and so he filed late. “And since I forgot, there is now a 'filing failure', as the UCI calls it. That is equal to a a missed control," he said.

“And it gets worse. After I had called, I was coolly told that many athletes from other sports had also forgotten the form. But then I was told that I was the only one given a 'missed control', because I am a cyclist.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kroon-angry-at-uci-over-contador-and-his-own-whereabouts-problems