Berg and Bush 2012

Beer4Recovery

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

top event! Did the 2 day as usual. Had an absolute blast on Day 1 - first time down Long Drop Pass ... Hmmm i donno ... its cool cus its winds so much! but Everest is a machine route just cus of the all out speed!

Pity my Go-pro died on the first day so couldn't get any vids of Princess Margret (which i had a free run down! clap.gif thumbup1.gif )

But had a ball on day 2 with the D4 Productions go pro chest mount ... If any of you guys and girls on here who rode the 2 day nearly got taken out by some **** on a GT in White Kit (day 1) and Black kit (day 2) ... I do apologise! .. Especially to the chick who i passed at the end of Day 2 down that last rocky descent ... you just cant take downhillers anyhere ... whistling.gif

But the footage was great! Had a free run down Wesleys Way with me chasing one of the other DH guys ... that was cool - have a vid of him whipping it in the air past some poor chick over those new rain humps! Awesome!

Would love to see the footage!

Ok - GoPro lens had a smudge on it...so a bit blurry in spots on day 1. The whole unit then went flying while going down bezuidenhouts pass and we lost a connector so could not get any more footage on day 1...net result is that on Day 2 I had to fasten the camera on my seatpost...but still came out ok...never took it out on day 3...pity...as i would have liked to get a bit of puff adder and big red.........anyway enjoy

Did the 2 day event on the weekend and really enjoyed it despite the first day really getting the better of me. I had been sick for a full week with gastro leading up to the race and at about 35km (round about the bottom of Spionkop) the cramping began! This made for a very painful walk up the hill followed by a somewhat hairy decent as my wobbly legs did not instill much confidence down the side of the mountain. unsure.png This resulted in a very slow, long and painful day for me but some lessons learnt.

Day 2 was far more fun - I started slowly and let my partner ride ahead which took the pressure off, all in all a very cool day out, loved it.thumbup1.gif

Accomodation in the race village was not bad (a tent is a tent) but one thing begs a question. If you know you snore like a mating lion why do you stay in a tented race village and torture all other riders out of a good night's sleep!?! This is directed to the gent a few tents down.cursing.gif Bricks and morter for me next year I'm afraid!

The hospitality was otherwise great, women were really catered for as we had nice hot showers and flushing loos - thank you!! The men roughed it a bit more. The food was great and the beer was cold! The water points were incredible and the spirit of the locals lifted me when I was really suffering on day 1. Funniest moment for me was riding past some local kids and telling them I am sooo tired to which they all started shouting in unison: "shame, ah shame, shame!" - I laughed to a fellow rider "at least the local 5yr olds feel sorry for me, lol!"...wacko.png

Really an amazing race! Next year I will be make sure I am better prepared so I can enjoy it more. Weekend warrior with one or two spinning classes thrown in doesnt really suffice eek.gif

Edited by RMCC