Beginner.....needs advise

Lclegg

Hi

I'm looking to buy my first mtb

Right now i'm looking at a Merida One-Twenty HFS 1000-D,R11000 secondhand.

Would this be a good starter for me?

I've got a budget of roundabout R13000

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated

Thanks!

If you have no experience in the sport,best to buy a cheaper bike to mess around with and learn some of the pain and suffering(you will fall/crash) before damaging something a bit more pricey.Look on the hub for a good hard tail with fairly decent specs.Schwinn Moab Comp is selling for R 5000 new... decent bike to start with.

Surely what you are looking fir is ADVICE not adviSe.

I'm not sure if he's looking FIR anything, Jagwil. Unless he's a wookie. Then he'll always be looking fir things.

stop ripping the chap and give some advice.

There will be many bikes in this priceclass, especially second hand, Im assuming you are wanting to do XC, so a merida is not a bad bet. Just make sure you go to your local bike shop and have them size you so you know what size bike to look for.

Then for 13k you can get a decent new bike or a damn good second hand bike, depending if you want to take the risk of a second hand bike.And if you can afford 13k get a 13k bike, if you are sure this is a sport you would like to commit too. If not then go for something cheap till you know you want to do the sport.

Hi

I'm looking to buy my first mtb

Right now i'm looking at a Merida One-Twenty HFS 1000-D,R11000 secondhand.

Would this be a good starter for me?

I've got a budget of roundabout R13000

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated

Thanks!

Whereabouts are you? We might be able to point you to a bikeshop or such that can be trusted to properly help you :thumbup:

stop ripping the chap and give some advice.

There will be many bikes in this priceclass, especially second hand, Im assuming you are wanting to do XC, so a merida is not a bad bet. Just make sure you go to your local bike shop and have them size you so you know what size bike to look for.

Then for 13k you can get a decent new bike or a damn good second hand bike, depending if you want to take the risk of a second hand bike.And if you can afford 13k get a 13k bike, if you are sure this is a sport you would like to commit too. If not then go for something cheap till you know you want to do the sport.

Or your Anthem X...

But yes, the Merida is a popular choice, and seems to be a good choice to boot. With 120mm travel, it'll be quite comfortable as well, and not as "racy" as their 96 (which is, tbh, an all out racing machine and worth nothing if you're just starting out or are looking to just have fun and mess around)

So - Merida 120? Yes. Good buy.

Or your Anthem X...

But yes, the Merida is a popular choice, and seems to be a good choice to boot. With 120mm travel, it'll be quite comfortable as well, and not as "racy" as their 96 (which is, tbh, an all out racing machine and worth nothing if you're just starting out or are looking to just have fun and mess around)

So - Merida 120? Yes. Good buy.

The anthem got a new home last night :) im personally not a merida fan, not that they make bad bikes, i just for some reason associate merida's with girls :D

im personally not a merida fan, not that they make bad bikes, i just for some reason associate merida's with girls :D

Hahaha

Also think about a Trance (2nd hand) Good bikes, and can be used for XC as well as going into the "trail" area of MTB (which is a lot more fun!)

Trance X4 is like under 11k these days and they are awesome frame also light enough to turn it into a xc/am machine.

Trance X4 is like under 11k these days and they are awesome frame also light enough to turn it into a xc/am machine.

Yeah. Up-spec the fork (which you can for an extra 2k if you trade the OEM one in at the LBS) and you're A for AWAY!!!

Also think about a Trance (2nd hand) Good bikes, and can be used for XC as well as going into the "trail" area of MTB (which is a lot more fun!)

+1 on the trance, my x1 "loop soos stroop"