Giant Anthem X1 (2012) VS Giant Anthem X (2011)

Motard660

Thank you everybody for your comments. The reason why the tubeless is R1400 is due to that he (bike shop) claim that the tyres on the 2011 model is not tubeless ready or convertible. That R1400 is for other tyres that is apparently tubeless ready. How far that is true, I don't know.

The 2011 came out with non-ust Crossmarks which does not work well tubeless, then again the Ralphs on the 2012 are tubeless ready but they are not the Snakeskins. So maybe the 2011 is the better option if you want a proper tubeless setup with proper tires. The Ralphs will work but the danger of a sidewall cut is high. The other difference is the 2011 has the RP23 shock and the 2012 got the RP2, the only diff is the RP23 got 3 propedal settings. I have the 2011 and I use propedal settings 1 and 3 all the time. What I`m saying is I think you made the right choice.

Edited by Berg Bok

Go with the 2011 bike, not even a question, SRAM X7 vs Shimano XT, I would always go with the best group set possible.

Congrats on the bike :) cant go wrong with either already my 26" anthem, but.....

had XT XTR on all my bikes got a new Rocky mountain with X7, thought that would be the first to go.... wrong, @#$@ XT, even the SRAM X7 wipes the floor with shimano. Not to mention tuning the SRAM stuff is a breeze, where with shimano you need mystical powers to get it right.

Im now spening my money on new wheelsets and better forks as upgrade options the X7 can stay till it brakes.

But thats just my humble opinion. XT is obviously not bad, but i have been converted to SRAM junkie i beleive.

Congrats on the bike :) cant go wrong with either already my 26" anthem, but.....

had XT XTR on all my bikes got a new Rocky mountain with X7, thought that would be the first to go.... wrong, @#$@ XT, even the SRAM X7 wipes the floor with shimano. Not to mention tuning the SRAM stuff is a breeze, where with shimano you need mystical powers to get it right.

Im now spening my money on new wheelsets and better forks as upgrade options the X7 can stay till it brakes.

But thats just my humble opinion. XT is obviously not bad, but i have been converted to SRAM junkie i beleive.

Wait till some dirt gets on it.

Wait till some dirt gets on it.

That time will tell, but almost everyone i know that has been through both group sets have told me SRAM is much better in mud than Shimano, though this winter will be the proof in the pudding.

Biiggest advantage to me still is that i can tune it 100% on the trail with a multitool as if done by a prof bike mechanic, could never do that with shimano, got it to work ok but never perfectly.

And i can do it in less than 5 mins.

Edited by covie

Which colour do you like? remember you are probably going to ride this bike for 2-3 years so if you don`t like the appearance it will be a long slog. This may sound trivial when measuring value but you need to love the way it looks. You don`t choose a wife on her cooking skills mate !

I agree though that Shimano at this level is better but I would rather have the bike shop swop the drivetrain for a small adjustment than live with a bike that i don`t love.

Stick to 3 rings unless you have Burry`s legs.