Road Shoes - Any advice for a good, competitive top end road road shoe?

Audible Anarchy

Hi All

im looking to replace my faithful pair of SIDI road shoes that have seen their last few km's -

not sure of the model but they came out the year oscar freire won his first world champs (his signiature model with the world cup stripes n wotnot)

soles have that metal tensioner thingy and the buckle on top with 2 ratchets.

needless to say , shoe tech has changed quite a lot since and im a bit lost as to what to look for in a new pair of shoes?

i ride / race quite hard and obviously need something with a nice stiff sole and at least one buckle at the top to keep the heel in place when climbing / sprinting ...

any suggestions or models i can look at? id like to keep it under R2k if possible.....

does it really need to have a carbon sole? are multiple ratchets / buckles necessary?

ive been looking at the sidi genius 5s for example - but seems nobody has sizing (45) and something like the ergo 2's / 3's are just a ripoff.

thanks

Checkout Lake they are decently priced. Made with kangaroo uppers and carbon soles. Cyclelab are stockists.they generally wider than Sidi. CWC has good deals on Sidi Ergo 2s. Worth a look as you know the brand already.

Edited by Super Mario

Hi All

im looking to replace my faithful pair of SIDI road shoes that have seen their last few km's -

not sure of the model but they came out the year oscar freire won his first world champs (his signiature model with the world cup stripes n wotnot)

soles have that metal tensioner thingy and the buckle on top with 2 ratchets.

needless to say , shoe tech has changed quite a lot since and im a bit lost as to what to look for in a new pair of shoes?

i ride / race quite hard and obviously need something with a nice stiff sole and at least one buckle at the top to keep the heel in place when climbing / sprinting ...

any suggestions or models i can look at? id like to keep it under R2k if possible.....

does it really need to have a carbon sole? are multiple ratchets / buckles necessary?

ive been looking at the sidi genius 5s for example - but seems nobody has sizing (45) and something like the ergo 2's / 3's are just a ripoff.

thanks

Suplest s1 streetracing at the end you buying so buy what fits you.

Sidi ergo 3 still tops

I often do not go with the main stream. Imported a pair of LAKE's. And let me tel you. They are comfortable. Better than the Specialized and SIDE pairs I have. And they were half the price of SIDI's. Local is a rip off.

any thoughts on Northwave? particularly the SBS models?

Yup,

Ergo 3's will be nicer :devil: :whistling:

I often do not go with the main stream. Imported a pair of LAKE's. And let me tel you. They are comfortable. Better than the Specialized and SIDE pairs I have. And they were half the price of SIDI's. Local is a rip off.

Interesting!!!

you don't ride bike enough to hurt your feat

I have wide flat feet and the Spez carbon pro shoes work a treat for me ! Though if you had SIDI shoes I think the Spez will be too wide for you, as the SIDI tends to run narrow.

For bargains give the Bargain Basement website a try, drastically reduced prices !

Yup,

Ergo 3's will be nicer :devil: :whistling:

yeah so would a new 900g frame or ooh ooh a set of lightweight tubulars or oooh how about that new santa cruz carbon 29er to play with ...

let's be realistic here, im looking at something good enough to do the job at a reasonable price - as much as id like to rush out and order the top end ergos (which are but F*cken bling i must say :drool: ) thats not gonna happen.

maybe wait and save until the holes are a bit bigger in my current sidis then try and organise the ergo 2s ?

1hill@aTime - im liking the look of those!

I have wide flat feet and the Spez carbon pro shoes work a treat for me ! Though if you had SIDI shoes I think the Spez will be too wide for you, as the SIDI tends to run narrow. For bargains give the Bargain Basement website a try, drastically reduced prices !

yeah i had a look, their prices are insane! but alas no sizing ---