Is it legal for cyclists to ride on the pavement?

Skylark

a pedestrian on his bicycle riding on the pavement?

Huh?

Stupid is as stupid does?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

…a pedestrian on his bicycle riding on the pavement?

Huh?

Yes that's the conundrum I am implying - I am a pedestrian but on wheels , I do not wish to become traffic. Can I make that choice or will the law forbid me?

Edited by SkyLark

who cares if riding on the pavement is legal, this is africa!

and forget bells and noisy hubs, only one thing gets the attention of an earphone wearing single track shuffling moron when approaching from behind at warp speed on a sweet section of urban-downhill.....

post-32176-0-07423500-1334311702.jpg

it's called the acme thunderer. blow this thing like a ref in the world cup final and pedestrians will clear before you like the red sea did before moses!

ps. it works just as well for peletons of dirt-roadies riding 29ers on the spruit when they wont get out of your way

Edited by sadamhussein

Yes that's the conundrum I am implying - I am a pedestrian but on wheels , I do not wish to become traffic. Can I make that choice or will the law forbid me?

Nope, you're a cyclist.

- I am a pedestrian but on wheels ,

Are you 'Dale?

Try demystify the fact that when you get on the bicycle, you cease to become a pedestrian, and become a bicyclist.

who cares if riding on the pavement is legal, this is africa!

and forget bells and noisy hubs, only one thing gets the attention of an earphone wearing single track shuffling moron when approaching from behind at warp speed on a sweet section of urban-downhill.....

it's called the acme thunderer. blow this thing like a ref in the world cup final and pedestrians will clear before you like the red sea did before moses!

ps. it works just as well for peletons of dirt-roadies riding 29ers on the spruit when they wont get out of your way

Those things are no joke , my avids work in a similar manner when its wet.

And what if he's walking next to his bike pushing it :unsure:

Then he's a pedestrian. Really guys, the concept isn't that difficult.

Are you 'Dale?

Try demystify the fact that when you get on the bicycle, you cease to become a pedestrian, and become a bicyclist.

Would that be a cyclist who swings both ways :unsure:

And what if he's walking next to his bike pushing it :unsure:

Good angle!!

Actually I do that quite often , I sometimes enjoy a bit of a walk or jog during a ride , just to loosen up. With the saddle in one hand pushing + balancing the bike you can get up to quite a pace.

Edited by SkyLark

I like taking a spin round the neighborhood on my Mtb but seeing I'm petrified of cars I ride on the pavement as much as is possible - its rather like riding trails anyway , you have to dodge trees , hop stuff etc.

I'm always very courteous to my foot stepping brethren and always give them right of way , maybe go on the road for a short while. I even slow right down when I see the grannies so I don't give them a speed wobble .

But is it legal for cyclists to ride on the pavement?

Some people do give me the evil eye and drivers coming out of their driveways seem to think they have right of way - they do get the middle finger extended if I almost get knocked over by their lack of decency. But I got ready to knock some lights out when a particularly smug trophy hunting Toyota Fortuner driver tried to get me under his bumper . I stopped myself from launching some f-bombs into his general direction because I wasn't sure if I as a cyclist am even allowed on the pavement and if so do I have the same right of way as a pedestrian?

Read wot you wrote, think about it for a minute and you will have your answer

Read all of his posts in this thread, and you'll come to realise that thinking does not appear to be his strong suit...

Edited by TNT1

I refuse to respond intelligently to someone that cannot spell what.