Cycling Advert Banned for being Sexist & Degrading - What do you think?

Caerus

AN advert for a bicycle frame featuring a naked woman with a hand over her boobs has been banned for bearing “no relevance” to the product.

The magazine ad for triathlon accessories firm Triuk also features a small image of the bike frame next to the raven-haired beauty. It bears the tagline: “It all starts with great bodywork.”

A reader of Cycling Plus complained that it was sexist and degrading to women. The Advertising Standards Authority has banned the ad.

The watchdog ruled it was “likely to cause serious offence”.

It added: “Although the image was not sexually explicit, it had sexual connotations. It bore no relevance to the advertised product.”

But bosses at Somerset firm Triuk claimed the caption was “tongue-in-cheek” and the ad showed the “aesthetic features of the bicycle frame”.

post-13006-0-61527300-1334469221.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no need to have half naked ladies in bicycle adds and it was right to ban it.

So, half of the assos website and catalogue must be removed according to you?

http://assos.com/fileUpload/images/2700_4.jpg

A f**kkit, the whole site should be removed, cause the other half has a half naked man. There's no place for a half naked man in a cycling advert.

So, half of the assos website and catalogue must be removed according to you?

http://assos.com/fileUpload/images/2700_4.jpg

A f**kkit, the whole site should be removed, cause the other half has a half naked man. There's no place for a half naked man in a cycling advert.

Funny, I was just thinking about the same adverts and whether they are in bad taste or not.? Seems a bit of the top to me, but I can see how it can be seen as offensive, looks more in line with selling Veet.

Funny, I was just thinking about the same adverts and whether they are in bad taste or not.? Seems a bit of the top to me, but I can see how it can be seen as offensive, looks more in line with selling Veet.

I am going to report you to the mods if you post in the ladies and bikes thread again:)

When last did you page through just about any motorcycle magazine? You'll be lucky if you can find any ads without a completely naked chic promoting the wares. But roadies are probably more on a moral high ground, and thus complained.

That's also true. Go through a Huisgenoot and you'll probably find stacks more pics with more "sexual" innuendos than any cycling mag. It was probably a 137kg woman that complained...

I am going to report you to the mods if you post in the ladies and bikes thread again:)

Look who's talking.....LOL!!!! :w00t:

Hey, no fair. I said it was a bit over the top for having it banned.

Hey, no fair. I said it was a bit over the top for having it banned.

Look who's talking.....LOL!!!! :w00t:

:devil:

I still can't see how it's different to the mens ads:

http://assos.com/fileUpload/images/2850_4.jpg

People need to seriously get over their sexist archaic body image crap.

I think I found my female tandem partner....thanks AssosB-)

Are you sitting in front OR will she be sitting in front...???