Derailleur Hangers

dalem44

well, depends on the bike and where you buy.

A Scott Spark pro with its fancy 12mm 142 through axle will cost R445 (Cycletech) - R380(Linden) for the derailleur hanger. Crazy for what it is considering how easy it was to bend in last sundays Suikerbosrand Route42 race. one slip and it costs!

biker-boarder.de cost 9 euros for the same derailleur hanger. excl postage. Still a rediculous premium we have to pay in SA for this vital spare part (and the LBS's know it)

apparently a hanger for a Volcan costs up to R1000 as it has 2 parts, one on each side. nuts.

I still don't know why each bike has to be different with regards to hangers? I know designs differ but design around this

Guest Omega Man

The problem with hangers is that you actually WANT them to be an engineered weak point in the frame design. You don't want to smash your derailleur on a rock and bend your entire rear swingarm or worse if it's carbon.

I used to have a Foes DHS mono (Rare hand made DH bike. Only one in SA) and getting a hanger for that was a real hassle. I ended up getting it from some dude in Israel on ebay. I think his name a pilo or pila. They were R350 each. excluding postage.

The price depends on the bike as well. It cost me R450 for a hanger for a Cannondale Flash 29er. Hugh rip off, but had to replace it.

Never ride without a spare myself. Saved me from a long walk twice now. Just remeber to pack a proper allan key to losen derailer as some of the multi tool allan keys are to akward to use because of the deep recession of derailler bolt.

Price ( my experience):R80 - 160