Highway Cycling

RexFuzzle

So many of us have cycled down the M1 in the 94.7 and if you're anything like me you were going, wow this is awesome- cycling down the highway. With the tolls being introduced soon (supposedly) I would like to dream and think that the highways will be high and dry and thus for the most part very empty and that means that I might consider cycling on them. Yes, it is probably illegal but think about it, you would be giving the Gautrain and Sanral and up yours at the same time and it won't cost you anything (except possibly your life).

On the other hand they might decide that they're onto a money maker and have a cycle lane and start charging you... if they thought they had a tough time with motorists they ain't seen nothing yet.

Excellent idea for a mass protest against e-tolling, Imagine thousands of cyclists taking to the N1!!!!

Excellent idea for a mass protest against e-tolling, Imagine thousands of cyclists taking to the N1!!!!

That would be nice , but i'm sure Metro will shoot you with rubber bullets or tear gas you :P

That would be nice , but i'm sure Metro will shoot you with rubber bullets or tear gas you :P

You got that right.

Yes, it is probably illegal but think about it,

no it's not probably illegal, it IS illegal.

with speed differential between slower and faster vehicles i find it a hair raising experience to ride on the highway with a 250cc motorbike that can average 120kph.

cycling on the highway = certain death.

I meant just as a protest, not on a regular basis. Picture the scene, 5000 cyclists all in the emergency lane on the left, preferably in a long single line, metro would be obliged to try and arrest or fine everyone as it's illegal, but know one carries ID (not required) and all give false names and addresses if forced to........................

Would be fun for all those who love anarchy or pushing authorities buttons...................

haha, people are too scared to protest like this and put themselves on the line. not even during the holocaust did people stick out their necks and stand up for themselves, and they were facing certain death - in this case we are talking about a toll road, hardly enough cause to expose yourself to abuse and arrest by the infamous metro police thugs.

Why dont we orgainse a cycling stike day at Library Gardens in protest of the e-tolls. This will need to be done during the course of the week, where the impact will be the highest.

Please hear me out and read on.

We all take to the highway and ride towards Library Gardens in JHB. We all meet somewhere at Centurion (say 06:00) to JHB. Party all day in JHB, blowing our Vuvu's and about 15:30 we start riding back to Centurion.

We can even chat to the various LBS to put bike stands at Library Gardens. We all like to perv at various biking gear and new bikes. I personally lose hours at my LBS or online cycling stores. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

We can get ABI or franchise food stores to be there, we cannot go hungry.

We can speak to CyclingSA (sorry they useless and will look at a renvenue generating opportunity), I think we would be better off spreading the word around our local clubs and LBS.

We can invite Helen Zille (DA) and Costatu to join us. Maybe they will sponsor us cycling jerseys or medals. :)

If Helen joins us, then I suggest that she leads the way.

In order for this to work we will need thousands of cyclists. This is not a race. Avg speed will be around 20-25km/h and we will all ride together in one huge peloton, taking up all the highway lanes.

We will have to orgainse support vehicles, maybe a Car dealer principle will be kind enough to loan a couple of cars (marketing opportunity for them)so that no cyclist get injured or hurt. Each car will be allocated to one lane, blocking the traffic from the rear and the front. We will be riding according to the agreed speed limit mentioned above. We will all obey the traffic lights and stop signs.

The support vehicles will also need to carry tubes, tires and some spare bike parts. If any repairs are required it will be for the cyclist cost. A LBS mechanic will need to be in each vehicle to assist with any breakdowns.

At first I started typing this out as a joke, but now I am taking my suggestion more serious and it can work.

your thoughts.......

We can invite Helen Zille (DA) and Costatu to join us. Maybe they will sponsor us cycling jerseys or medals. :)

If Helen joins us, then I suggest that she leads the way.

try getting Fikile Mbalula to join us as well, that way we can have the protection of the blue light brigade too :ph34r:

still, why would sanral listen to cyclists ??? they're not the ones affected by a toll road anyway.

it's like a gay rights activist pitching at a march against rhino poaching.

it's a stupid idea.

Edited by sadamhussein