Geax Saguaro / Aka combination

rockrider

A lot of guys are riding Geax Aka front and Geax Saguaro back.

It looks like the Aka's tread pattern would have less rolling resistance, so should be at the back and the Saguaro's tread pattern looks like it would have more grip, so should be in the front. What am I missing here?

Which other combinations are advisable?

I'm riding the Saguaro in front (better grip) and with a Mezcal at the back. Both are fitted in the "speed" direction. As of now I have not had a problem with the combo (but I must admit, have not done any real wet riding with it)

Looking at the tyre descriptions (and thread patterns) I would also venture to say Saguaro in front, AKA at the back.

I rode an AKA at the back. The tyre lasted about 5 months. I wasn't impressed. Now riding Maxxis.

Agree, Saguaro front & Aka (1.9 / 2) at back is a great combination. Having said that i ride TNT (geax equivalent to UST) and it was a bitch to fit the Aka. No problems with Saguaro

I'd say Mezcal at the back wrong way round and AKA infront speed direction. More than enough grip on the AKA.

Just a comment: I used to ride Saguaro in the front and my front wheel was slipping out all the time... I thought it was me... I started taking corners at speed leaning to the inside and holding my bike as upright as possible...

Changed to Racing Ralph on the front... now I use this as a back tyre already... and no more slipping out...

now when you look at the tread of the saguaro.. it makes no sense!

Just a comment: I used to ride Saguaro in the front and my front wheel was slipping out all the time... I thought it was me... I started taking corners at speed leaning to the inside and holding my bike as upright as possible...

Changed to Racing Ralph on the front... now I use this as a back tyre already... and no more slipping out...

now when you look at the tread of the saguaro.. it makes no sense!

The thing with a saguaro is it quite a large volume tyre and so you can run it at quite low pressure

For me thats always made it quite predictable, I run with a Fast trak on the back but am keen to try a Renegade, they look like they roll quite easy and sounds like quite a few guys had them for the Epic

For winter the wet tracks in Tokai will make for interesting tyre choice

Just out of interest used a Mezcal on the front and that was no good ..