new to free riding

scoobyren

hey i apologise in advance if its been discussed before.

im looking into buying a freeride/downhill bike.

but first i would like to know where to ride in johannesburg??

i have done normal mtb and use to ride mx and now im looking at giving this a shot.

if anyone could please assit me by giving me info on where to ride and how to get into it.

thanks

Ask Patches

I take offence to that! Just becasue I'm a cheapskate doesn't mean I only ride at places that are free.

:lol:

ok, but yeah... in JHB (and gauteng) there are quite a few places where one can enjoy a bigger bike.

1. The Spruit. I know this sounds silly, but there are a few spots on the spruit. Namely the DHL, Hurlingham, and Scout Hall jump lines.

I won't post a vids here but click on the links above to see.

And here's a pic of Peach using a DH bike to hit the 10m at hurlingham

post-10758-0-79483700-1334905184.jpg

2. Helderkruin DH course. This is situated just over the hill from Clearwater mall. It's quite a short track with top time being about 1:05. but it's plenty rocky so a big travel bike will smooth out the bumps nicely. It's public property so one can go there anytime. Wouldn't recommend going alone though.

3. Gillooleys DH course. Most riders don't like this one and I think land access is a problem, so wouldn't recommend it, but it may be an option.

4. 139 DH course. Situated in Waterkloof, Pretoria 139 is pretty darn awesome! Land access isn't an issue. The course has twists, turns, jumps, drops, rock gardens and pedally sections. It's a favourite amongst most Gautend DH bike owners. It was recently used for the round 2 of National DH series. Here's a vid of the practice day action.

Now for the non-free-freeride... well to be honest there isn't much... I do spend quite a bit of time hitting the dirt jump lines at the Toyota Bike Park, and on occasion I take the DH bike there just to remind myself that it can handle steep-ish kickers. So yeah, another place to consider.

Hope that all helps?!

Edited by patches

Not wanting to hijack your thread, Scoobyren - but in a similar vein - how can one get a taste of a bit of DH action?

I own a GT Chucker and in the past a couple of mates and I have built a few small jumps to dick around on. I would like to give a DH course a bash on a proper big bike. I live down the road from the Waterkloof DH course and it looks like so much fun!

Not wanting to hijack your thread, Scoobyren - but in a similar vein - how can one get a taste of a bit of DH action?

I own a GT Chucker and in the past a couple of mates and I have built a few small jumps to dick around on. I would like to give a DH course a bash on a proper big bike. I live down the road from the Waterkloof DH course and it looks like so much fun!

well... the Gravity All Stars (Gauteng DH club) are in the process of building a "village bicycle".

As the name suggests, this is going to be a full DH bike that can be ridden by anyone that wants to see what downhill is about before forking out a ton of cash. It's being built with donated parts, so it can be quite a lengthy process, but they're almost there. Last time I asked Marnus (the chairman) he said they only needed a chain and brakes and they were done.

So yeah, when I hear that the bike is p and running, I will post something on the Gravity forum. The bike (once complete) will probably be taken along to every race and practice day.

well... the Gravity All Stars (Gauteng DH club) are in the process of building a "village bicycle".

As the name suggests, this is going to be a full DH bike that can be ridden by anyone that wants to see what downhill is about before forking out a ton of cash. It's being built with donated parts, so it can be quite a lengthy process, but they're almost there. Last time I asked Marnus (the chairman) he said they only needed a chain and brakes and they were done.

So yeah, when I hear that the bike is p and running, I will post something on the Gravity forum. The bike (once complete) will probably be taken along to every race and practice day.

That's a really good idea! I'll keep a look out.

thanks patches for the details.

that video has got me hooked! it looks like there arent much places in total though...

Are there many DH riders in gauteng and riding clubs?

So yeah, when I hear that the bike is p and running, I will post something on the Gravity forum.

:thumbup: Please also post a pic of this frankenstein of a bike :P

thanks patches for the details.

that video has got me hooked! it looks like there arent much places in total though...

Are there many DH riders in gauteng and riding clubs?

At gauteng DH events we get around 40 riders out. The club is Gravity All Stars. Here's a FB group where most of the local DH gatherings are announced. Also check out www.nsrmtb.co.za

There are also 3 other spots I didn't mention.

Fort Klapperkop DH track (PTA, near Vootreklker monument)

Stonehouse DH track (technically not GP, but near haarties so close enough)

Haartebeesport DH track (also not GP, but going to be well worth it when it's done... it has cable cars!!)

I left these 3 out because they are mainly be used for events. Don't think one can just go ride whenever they want like Helderkruin or 139.