First MTB new vs used

Mtb Newbie

I'm looking to buy a decent entry level mountain bike,I have looked online and see a new Merida Matts TFS 100 goes for about 5 K. Do you suggest I purchase new or go for a higher spec used bike in the same price range?

Any informed opinions appreciated :)

Second hand.

Do your research and make sure you get the correct size, then budget to get the bike setup at a proper bike shop.

Second hand, but only if you know your stuff. You have to do your homework very well to make sure you get the right bike. Work out beforehand which makes and models will work and in what size. The kind of riding you want to do determines this as well as your budget. Decide what component specs you want. Get to know what a good well maintained bike and what worn drivetrain looks like so that you can be make sure you get something that will give you many years of good service. Your offer should be the "new price" minus 30% and then minus a further 10% off that per year of the bikes age. If you are unsure of the above or don't have a knowledgeble friend to help, rather buy new.

Thanks for the replies..DJR, you've made me realise that I'm very unsure of what I need to look for in a second hand bike so ill be doing a bit of research as to what's out there in my price range and will head off to a bike shop and hope I don't get ripped off!

Have a look at Axis bikes .... GREAT value (read components) for money. You can get an A60 with Shimano Hydraulic Disk brakes and a Suntour XCM front shock for around R4000.

Have a look at Axis bikes .... GREAT value (read components) for money. You can get an A60 with Shimano Hydraulic Disk brakes and a Suntour XCM front shock for around R4000.

Thanks for the suggestion, will have a look.

A GT Avalanche 2.0 has also been recommended to me.

Do you think its necessary for a woman to get a 'women specific' bike?

I would go second-hand ... but make sure you know what your looking at. New: Schwinn MOAB good beginner bike or if you can MOMSEN.

Honestly, I looked all over for / at used bikes, and the pain is just not worth it. If you find something in your size, you still need to arrange to view (two schedules) and then need to make 120% sure you're not buying a lemon. There's things that are way too hard to spot for the untrained eye - a warped / cracked frame / brakes / wheel etc. When are you going to find out about this crack? Sitting in your garage, or bombing down some hill? This, plus the frustration of trying to get to view and test ride a bike I thought was good, swayed me to look at new. Buying new you can go for ten test rides at the same shop, and they will fit the bike to you, maybe throw in some accesories, and normally give a complimentary service after a couple of months.

As to women's specific, There's normally not that much difference between a boys and girls bike. On some models you'll have a lower top tube, but on most it's a case of "Shrink it, pink it and put up the price" - smaller frames, different saddle, that's about it. Saddle is, in any case, a matter of taste and personal fit. You're not likely to fall in love with a stock saddle on any bike :)

Take the bike for a spin - most shops will let you do that - and then decide what works for you. Also, at that price point, take into consideration that you will have to compromise on some part of the bike, be it brakes, cranks, cassette, shock or color (lol) - decide which part9s0 is TOP of your priorities (mine was brakes - AXIS=Shimano and Titan=Tektro) and use that to narrow your search.

I bought my bike from Solomon's new shop in Lynwood, Pretoria, and negotiated with them about price (They came down R200, as that's the price I could get it elsewhere), free fitting (not the best, but good enough) free service / check before I take it home (included opening BB to check grease levels, adjusting brakes, shock, gears) as well as two more free services in the next year. That made me spend another R500 in their shop :)

I would go second-hand ... but make sure you know what your looking at. New: Schwinn MOAB good beginner bike or if you can MOMSEN.

Thanks have put a Schwinn Moab on my list!

Honestly, I looked all over for / at used bikes, and the pain is just not worth it. If you find something in your size, you still need to arrange to view (two schedules) and then need to make 120% sure you're not buying a lemon. There's things that are way too hard to spot for the untrained eye - a warped / cracked frame / brakes / wheel etc. When are you going to find out about this crack? Sitting in your garage, or bombing down some hill? This, plus the frustration of trying to get to view and test ride a bike I thought was good, swayed me to look at new. Buying new you can go for ten test rides at the same shop, and they will fit the bike to you, maybe throw in some accesories, and normally give a complimentary service after a couple of months.

As to women's specific, There's normally not that much difference between a boys and girls bike. On some models you'll have a lower top tube, but on most it's a case of "Shrink it, pink it and put up the price" - smaller frames, different saddle, that's about it. Saddle is, in any case, a matter of taste and personal fit. You're not likely to fall in love with a stock saddle on any bike :)

Take the bike for a spin - most shops will let you do that - and then decide what works for you. Also, at that price point, take into consideration that you will have to compromise on some part of the bike, be it brakes, cranks, cassette, shock or color (lol) - decide which part9s0 is TOP of your priorities (mine was brakes - AXIS=Shimano and Titan=Tektro) and use that to narrow your search.

I bought my bike from Solomon's new shop in Lynwood, Pretoria, and negotiated with them about price (They came down R200, as that's the price I could get it elsewhere), free fitting (not the best, but good enough) free service / check before I take it home (included opening BB to check grease levels, adjusting brakes, shock, gears) as well as two more free services in the next year. That made me spend another R500 in their shop :)

Thanks for taking the time to give me a lot of advice! At least I've been able to make a decision to go new, in my case being too uninformed as to what to look for I'd probably end up with a lemon as you say.

Wasn't too keen to go for a women's specific...although I'm a girly girl I don't need a pink bike :D

I will head off to Tony Impey who are in my area, they've been in the same centre for years and years and hopefully they'll help me out like Solomon's did you.

Yeah, as much as we're in the 'information age' and all that crap (I'm a programmer, that IT Crap is what I do every day) NOTHING beats a hands-on in a real shop. :) Let us know what you get!