Shimano XT 10 Speed: Chain climbs when I back pedal

Greggvdw

I am running Shimano 10 speed XT (3x10). I am pretty sure my derailleurs and cables are properly adjusted. Gears shift perfectly.

Wierd thing happens though. When my gears are in the smallest chainring and the smallest cog and I backpedal, the chain climbs off the guide pulley and the chain climbs up three cogs on the cassette. If I then pedal forward, it goes back to the smallest cog.

I know I dont ride in this combination of gear, but it never used to do this so it cant be right. Furthermore, my mate has exact same bike, and it doesnt happen on his bike.

I recently replaced the chain. Cassette doesn't seem worn at all.

Any ideas? I know I can take it to my mechanic... but I wont learn anything that way :)

take a look at your deraileur end point, theoretically they should be fine as you stay in gear when peddling forward but check that the deraileur cage and jokey wheels are inline with the actual gear you are in, also check to see where the chain is slipping from, stand next to your bike and peddle by hand to see if its from the front or back that the chain shifts, this will narrow down your search, it may just be that the end point either on the front or rear deraileur, or both are not far enough and the backpeddle accentuates what you cannot see or feel while peddling forward.

that would be where i would start. :mellow:

Do you have a directional 10spd chain on your bike and did you perhaps take it off at some point and put it on again the wrong way around? The 'engraved' said of the chain should be on the outside.

Do you have a directional 10spd chain on your bike and did you perhaps take it off at some point and put it on again the wrong way around? The 'engraved' said of the chain should be on the outside.

+1

OK so i even learnt something new today! Didn't even know you got directional chains

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I also found this out the hard way. Just couldn't get my front dérailleur's shifting adjusted properly. Did everything by the book, but it only came together after re-fitting the chain properly.

OK so i even learnt something new today! Didn't even know you got directional chains

Definitely a first for me too? Could anyone please elaborate as to why and advantages of such?

Directional chain - Right side is optimized for front shifting and left side is optimized for rear shifting. Aint XT great?

Edited by Berg Bok

I am running Shimano 10 speed XT (3x10). I am pretty sure my derailleurs and cables are properly adjusted. Gears shift perfectly.

Wierd thing happens though. When my gears are in the smallest chainring and the smallest cog and I backpedal, the chain climbs off the guide pulley and the chain climbs up three cogs on the cassette. If I then pedal forward, it goes back to the smallest cog.

I know I dont ride in this combination of gear, but it never used to do this so it cant be right. Furthermore, my mate has exact same bike, and it doesnt happen on his bike.

I recently replaced the chain. Cassette doesn't seem worn at all.

Any ideas? I know I can take it to my mechanic... but I wont learn anything that way :)

It is due to the chainline. When pedaling forward there is tension between the Chainwheel and the casette, when you backpedal there is slack in the chain and the DR has a spring in it pulling it inwards. That is why it climbs up a gear or even 2.

also you should not be dong small ring small ring riding anyway. It is just your drivetrain telling you not to do it.

Edited by Dick