Bike Service rip off

Foxpox

I'm a certified master mechanic... Did my course in Colorado Springs. Cost really alot (thanks mom and dad) and you do a practical + theory exam and it is damn hard. BUT it pays off if you work on bikes. Had a grat epic this year between myself and a mate we did 22 bikes a evening. And now I service bikes at clients houses. You dont need top dollar to use my services at all :D

That's great. I wish there were more of you guys around. I do the stuff I can myself and leave some for my best friend who is a master mechanic himself.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a certified master mechanic... Did my course in Colorado Springs. Cost really alot (thanks mom and dad) and you do a practical + theory exam and it is damn hard. BUT it pays off if you work on bikes. Had a grat epic this year between myself and a mate we did 22 bikes a evening. And now I service bikes at clients houses. You dont need top dollar to use my services at all :D

Barnett's?

Is there any reputable bike shop who actually services bikes properly. I am on about my 5th now. It's not about price. Just do the job properly and on time , it's not all about cost. I am gatvol of always getting my bike back late and then having to go back in because something's not working. I got told today at a new shop that the front pads that were replaced last month are stuffed and don't look a month old!!! Ive complained plenty times before but it always fall on deaf ears and its a pain in the arse trapping around during work hours to and from bike shops. C'mon guys , nobody wants to see you battle ! I hear the same moans about this all the time. Just behave professionally and treat your clients as clients , we spend good cash at your shops and dont deserve to be treated like idiots by you or your staff. How many of you offer to deliver bikes back after a service (home,office etc)?People will gladly pay for this. Kom kernels, word wakker

got a guy that comes to my house - name is Juan

legendary and good value

The problem with the cycling industry is that bikeshops are not prepared to pay top dollar for well trained mechanics.

Instead of naming and shaming the shops why don't we rather make a list of those awesome mechanics who do excellent work? With their permission of course.

...and when said bikeshops has one or more of these super trained mechanics from Colorado Springs you won't take your bicycle there because their services would be too expensive. I tried a search for 'I'm willing to pay top dollar for a service by a well trained mechanic' on the hub, after three hours still didn't get results.

@Dropzone - thanks for spreading the word :)

@ Cervello: I'm not at a bike shop, I come to your place and do it, or I collect/deliver. Full strip+rebuild service (including hubs+trueing wheels) is R450.00

@ Cervello: I'm not at a bike shop, I come to your place and do it, or I collect/deliver. Full strip+rebuild service (including hubs+trueing wheels) is R450.00

Just used your place of training as an example. No direct reference to you. Meant to say that training staff as pro mechanics cost a lot of money. Which a shop will have to recoup from the cyclists, who already complains a lot.

@Dropzone - thanks for spreading the word :)

.....and you not in Durban. I seriously need somebody to service a hub for me.