Complete Novice Needs Advice: GT GTR Carbon Elite

Gasser

Hi All,

My wife and I are looking at getting into Triathlon and Duathlon with the aim of doing and finishing the ironman next year. Please note finishing, not racing for the win! :clap:

What we know of road bikes is scary, come to think of it.....what we know of the sport as whole is scray! :w00t:

Anyway, we are currently looking at the bike above for our "value for money" buy that will be able suit our training and race needs leading up to the big event and carry us through it!

See specs below :

Type of Frame New F.O.C. Ultra™ Carbon Frame W/ F.O.C. Bb30 Bb Shell, 1 1/8" To 1 1/4" Tapered Head Tube Frame New F.O.C. Ultra™ Carbon Frame W/ F.O.C. Bb30 Bb Shell, 1 1/8" To 1 1/4" Tapered Head Tube Fork New GT Road Design W/ F.O.C. Ultra™ Carbon, 1 1/8" To 1 1/4" Carbon Tapered Steerer Crank FSA Gossamer Compact BB 30 50/34 Bottom Bracket FSA BB30 Sealed bearing Shifters Shimano 105 STI 10-speed Cog Set Shimano 4600, 10-speed 12-28 Chain KMC X10 , 10-speed Front Derailleur Shimano 105 Rear Derailleur Shimano 105 Rims Alex ALX 200 wheelset, 1900 G/ 20 Hole Front 24 Hole Rear Front Hub Alex Sealed bearing, CNC aluminum 20 Hole Frnt 24 Hole Rear Rear Hub Alex Sealed bearing, CNC aluminum 20 Hole Frnt 24 Hole Rear Spokes Stainless , brass 14 guage Straight Tires Schwalbe Lugano, 700x23c Pedals N/A Front Brake RC 476 Dual Pivot, Cold Forged, SureStop cartridge pads Rear Brake RC 476 Dual Pivot, Cold Forged, SureStop cartridge pads Brake Levers Shimano 105 STI Handlebar GT design Shallow drop road double butted 6061 alloy Stem GT design 3D forged 6061, 4 bolt face plate Headset FSA Integrated sealed bearing, 1.125 top, 1.25 lower Saddle GT Bio Morphic RACE Dual Density, CroMo Rail with super light foam Seat Post GT 2 bolt alloy road, 31.6 x 300

The deal we are getting is R 16k per bike with 10% of the value per bike free on in store goods. So effectively paying R 14.4k per bike.

What I want to know is this :

1. Will the bike suit our needs?

2. Are we getting "bang for our buck"?

3. Are there better deals out there that I should know about?

Please assist me here as the SWAMBO told me to do my homework before I by the bikes..... :blush:

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kind Regards

Johan

GT roadbikes are nice bikes, but for some reason don't have the same reputation as their mtbs. The road bikes aren't as popular and don't sell the way the mtb versions do. You can't go wrong with them and their importers (Omnico) are renowned for excellent after sales service

Here are other options that I have seen recently.

For R1 000 more, you can get an Axis AR10 with much better components (full Ultegra) and much better wheels than the GT. Another R1 000 will get you a Silverback Space 2, which has an awesome frame and full Ultegra.

I was in Solomons in Lynwood (Pretoria) and they were selling full carbon Bianchi's with Campagnolo Centaur (the carbon version) for R16 999. If it were my money, I would go the Bianchi route.

If your aim is to complete Ironman, maybe you could consider a "comfort" type of bike. These bikes have a much more relaxed riding position, which is perfect for the 7 or 8 hours you will spend on the bike leg. Some bike shops have discounted last year's Scott CR1's at R13 000 odd.

Omnico were advertising Schwinn Peleton 8 for R14 000. The bikes are new, but are 2009 unsold stock. They also offer the 10% worth of accessories and are the same importers as the GT brand. www.obike.co.za

Edited by Longbarn Killer

GT roadbikes are nice bikes, but for some reason don't have the same reputation as their mtbs. The road bikes aren't as popular and don't sell the way the mtb versions do. You can't go wrong with them and their importers (Omnico) are renowned for excellent after sales service

Here are other options that I have seen recently.

For R1 000 more, you can get an Axis AR10 with much better components (full Ultegra) and much better wheels than the GT. Another R1 000 will get you a Silverback Space 2, which has an awesome frame and full Ultegra.

I was in Solomons in Lynwood (Pretoria) and they were selling full carbon Bianchi's with Campagnolo Centaur (the carbon version) for R16 999. If it were my money, I would go the Bianchi route.

If your aim is to complete Ironman, maybe you could consider a "comfort" type of bike. These bikes have a much more relaxed riding position, which is perfect for the 7 or 8 hours you will spend on the bike leg. Some bike shops have discounted last year's Scott CR1's at R13 000 odd.

Omnico were advertising Schwinn Peleton 8 for R14 000. The bikes are new, but are 2009 unsold stock. They also offer the 10% worth of accessories and are the same importers as the GT brand. www.obike.co.za

There is not a lot of Scott CR1's of last year left anymore so shop around maybe you come right

I agree with you some people will suggest to get a TT bike but riding a 180km and just competing you want to be comfortable.....I think you are getting a good deal but there is better out there and you are not essentially getting a massive discount as the mark up on accesories is more than bikes so they BS you there!

Thank you guys!

What is you thoughts on the TREK Madone 4.5's @ R 15k?

Trek were always horribly overpriced, but for 2012, they seem to have brought their prices down to normal levels. Treks are renouned for their quality and are very good bikes. The 4.5 has a similar frame geometry to the CR1 (mentioned above) in that it offers a more comfortable riding position. I have read some pretty negative comments on the Hub regarding Trek's aftersales service in SA, don't know if those are isolated incidents.