Indoor training equipment

The Ghost

21 members have voted

1. 1. Rollers or the other resistance bike jack things?

• Rollers
    • Resistance bike jack things

I'm not sure what a resistance bike jack thing is so cannot answer. Sounds like someone trying to rob you.

Ai, this thingie man

otherwise known as an A frame trainer, i like the one you pictured, CycleOps good brand they also do rollers. only training equipment to come with a life time warranty!!! :thumbup:

the rollers make time go by a little easier and it a true road like feeling but takes a little skill to ride them, the trainers are great if you want to do an endurance workout while watching a movie etc and can let your mind drift and not fall off.

both can give an equally challenging workout!!!

rollers may be the cheaper option.

in that case I have a resistance bike jack thing.

It's good and I like it for the reason that DangerDave says.... you can't fall off. It is however mind numbingly boring so make sure you can set it up in front of your tv or get some training videos or your laptop or something. I use these: www.thesufferfest.com in conjuction with my trainer.

I've got a Tacx one, I think the model is called a Flow. It is the cheapest one Tacx do with a power meter which is a great tool for training. Worth spending the extra money if you can.

Edited by camerons

Rollers require balance... very difficult when you're hungover!!!

IDT on the other hand - you can just sit and pedal, mindlessly. You don't even need to worry about potholes :)

I agree with DangerDave.

Best thing about the rollers is that it feels like the road - similar feeling to slip streaming a bus where you have no air resistance but you can still go hard and fast if you want. Your bike handling and balance will also improve. Eventually you will be able to ride without hands. I have seen some convex shaped rollers (raised towards the edges) which seem to keep the rider more centred than the old flat rollers.

If you have a wired bike computer it is usually connected to your front wheel which will still read on rollers but front is stationary on the A frame set up.

On the A frame rollers during very intense hard intervals or power workouts I find that the rear tyre can slip and I get a burning rubber smell. Otherwise it is fine for indoor training which is boring anyway. As stated, it is good for watching movies, if you are prone to losing concentration or just don't have enough skill to ride in a straight line.

i got a tacx idt, best option hooked up to pc, ride hills and you can simulate a gps ridden route indoors according to contours etc

or just don't have enough skill to ride in a straight line.

I do worry about blikseming off.

so listening to everyone say rollers is a great option but there is no way of adding resistance, this will be a first

http://www.cycleops.com/en/products/rollers.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=6

the same brand as the trainer pictured do rollers with resistance, working off magnets, they work pretty well. http://www.bicyclepower.co.za are sold out at the moment but expecting to get more stock during the first week of June.

I see that buycycle have some, looks cool.

So is there some kind of DVD that I can watch on the Telly that simulates rides from the riders view?

I bliksemed off rollers once.... was *** funny for my family who were watching at the time!