What's your average speed??

So here is a question;

When you go out on your own roadbike, alone, i.e. no drafting, what is your average speed over a 2-3 hour ride.... would be interesting to hear from the likes of the A bunch riders out there.

Oh and lets use an average of around 600m-800m climbing over the 2-3 hours.

Edited by rattlesnake

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not generally go out alone... however the last time, and possible the only time in the last two years, I've gone out alone on my road bike I did 57km in 2H12, including 1174m of climbing....

I tend to wander, meander, stop at shops, sightsee, potter, perambulate, waste time, drink coffee, so a 50k trip can take anything like 4 or 5 hours. That said, my computer usually says around 25km/h. Not much more for races, unfortunately: I think around 28km/h has been about my fastest. Disappointing.

Where's your average, Rattlesnake?

Where's your average, Rattlesnake?

I wish I had the mindset to meander.... would be alot more fun that way.

This morning rode 56kms, 710m climbing at 31km/hr.

I do alot of my riding alone and dont really race on the road, so was just curious as to what I needed to average to keep up with the A/B bunch roadies.

Road biking as a one man wolf pack is seriously boring,,

Agreed, it tastes too much like training and hard work...

Edited by rattlesnake

When I was riding A-bunch, I managed to average 27+km/h around Suikerbosrand by myself on a steel bike. The rest of A Bunch were still faster than me in that season.

Edit: Those were the only rides I managed to do where I didn't have to stop for traffic lights, stop streets etc. Those really kill your average speed.

Edited by Minion

If I can hold 30km/h over 60-80km, I am pleased.

I often find that my performance varies though, some days I feel really flat and useless, other days are power days where friends battle to hold my wheel.

I wish I had the mindset to meander.... would be alot more fun that way.

This morning rode 56kms, 710m climbing at 31km/hr.

I do alot of my riding alone and dont really race on the road, so was just curious as to what I needed to average to keep up with the A/B bunch roadies.

With this you you should keep up with A bunch without too much problem. I very seldom average over 31/32 on training rides and I can.

Edit: Those were the only rides I managed to do where I didn't have to stop for traffic lights, stop streets etc. Those really kill your average speed.

True, stop / start does slow one down, and costs extra energy to get going again.

Agreed, it tastes too much like training and hard work...

But to answer your question I started in the A batch in my last race. I couldnt hang on till the end so they finished before me and my ave was around 34/35 and there was a fair amount of climbing.

With this you you should keep up with A bunch without too much problem. I very seldom average over 31/32 on training rides and I can.

Good to know! Maybe i'll try some road races. Think it might take a while to get an A seeding though. How long did it take you?

Early morning training ride on mtb on the road (45km) avg : 27 to 29 km/h

Weekend training ride on road bike (60 - 100km) avg : 29 to 32 km/h

Road racing avg : 36 to 38 km/h

Early morning training ride on mtb on the road (45km) avg : 27 to 29 km/h

Weekend training ride on road bike (60 - 100km) avg : 29 to 32 km/h

Road racing avg : 36 to 38 km/h

Thats a great avg speed on an mtb, especially if you doing it alone.

Good to know! Maybe i'll try some road races. Think it might take a while to get an A seeding though. How long did it take you?

I've only been riding road seriously for about 9 months, before that was tri. However, I purchased a CSA license which seems to have got me seeded in VA for the races I have entered thus far. That being said I haven't entered either the 94.7 or the Argus so not sure how I would be seeded in the very popular races.