Stem length for trail / all-mountain

wesley_r

Just out of curiosity - what stem length are y'all running on your trail / AM rigs?

My current stem is about 55mm, thinking of going for 60 or even 70mm as the Commencal's top tube is short for a L... obviously shorter is ideal for more control descending, and longer gives you a more planted feel on climbs, right? 70mm should be good for both?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my trail bike for XCO, XCM and trail riding, and use a 70mm stem and 720mm bar.

If you plan to ride rough stuff(All Mountain), I would not go longer than a 70mm stem.

I'm on 65mm. Rode 70mm on a test AM rig last month and that also felt good. I find 65 - 75 better on AM / Trail rigs you intend to do a lot of k's on.

As crow said, if you intend to do 2+hours of riding you don't want too short, 70~80mm works best for me.

I'm running 50mm stems on all my bikes.

My AM bike came standard with an 85mm stem... It felt awful, but I kinda got used to it while waiting the 6 weeks for Royal Fail to deliver the replacement. So I think if/when I replace it I could go 60-65mm and still feel comfortable jumping the bike

My AM bike came standard with an 85mm stem... It felt awful, but I kinda got used to it while waiting the 6 weeks for Royal Fail to deliver the replacement. So I think if/when I replace it I could go 60-65mm and still feel comfortable jumping the bike

I'm waiting for my EASTON HAVEN 70mm to arrive tomorrow.

OH, you fail to mention your AM bike is made of plastic, and that it looks totally ridiculous because it actually needs white grips.

Edited by TheV

I'm waiting for my EASTON HAVEN 70mm to arrive tomorrow.

Haven?! ...isn't that the little Easton stem that wishes it was a Havoc :P :lol:

OH, you fail to mention your AM bike is made of plastic, and that it looks totally ridiculous because it actually needs white grips.

Plastic, potato... same thing, haha!

• 2 weeks later...

went for the 70, not convinced. it seems very long.

measured my current stem again and it seems more like a 50mm... maybe i should just trade this in on a 60mm then...

I suppose I won't really know until I ride it though... :cursing:

post-12904-0-77461000-1337784496.jpg

Bike's still in pieces ;) what you think CPT - should I give the 70 a bash, or go for a 60 instead?

Bike's still in pieces ;) what you think CPT - should I give the 70 a bash, or go for a 60 instead?

Give the 70 a bash. If its not for you, at least you'll know for sure instead of not being sure now and having to check out on another uncertainty.

'tis true, and these stems are cheap as chips - no-one like's wasting money but at least i can flog it again or keep as a spare...

I have a 80mm Truvativ AM 5 deg. stem on the trail bike. It feels perfect for me but I am a larger than average rider.