What to buy with 10k? New or Used? Pls help

Rainierk

My second hand R2k bike did its job and its time to up grade. With the big price tags on MTB bikes I need guidens as what to buy. Looking for a 26' hardtail, except if I can be convinced otherwise

All depends on the deal on hand. You should be able to get a nice 2nd hand bike for the money, but you will have to make 100% sure you're not buying a lemon.

To discuss some options please feel free to give us a call or drop me a PM then we'll get in touch with you.

For R10k you can get a very decent new 26" hard tail!

You have not given us much in terms of your abilities and riding but based on the fact you have been riding a R2k second hand bike I'll make an assumption that you do not need top of the range components.

To put things into perspective I got myself a Silverback Phoenix for R4500. It was a bargain price as I bought in November and it was a 2011 model so they were trying to make space for the 2012 range. I have been riding this bike since then and it has served me exceptionally well. Components are great and if I really wanted to pick something to change it would be the fork but it more than serves it's purpose.

Here is the thread I started when I got my bike : http://www.thehubsa....k-phoenix-2011/

Edited by Clint_ZA

There's a Morewood Shova going for 11k here and on the contermanskloof mtb trails fb page. That's what I'd get, personally.

You haven't listed the type of riding you do though. So it may be the wrong bike for your style.

For R10k you can get a very decent new 26" hard tail!

You have not given us much in terms of your abilities and riding but based on the fact you have been riding a R2k second hand bike I'll make an assumption that you do not need top of the range components.

To put things into perspective I got myself a Silverback Phoenix for R4500. It was a bargain price as I bought in November and it was a 2011 model so they were trying to make space for the 2012 range. I have been riding this bike since then and it has served me exceptionally well. Components are great and if I really wanted to pick something to change it would be the fork but it more than serves it's purpose.

Here is the thread I started when I got my bike : http://www.thehubsa....k-phoenix-2011/

And you admit to that on a public forum?

My second hand R2k bike did its job and its time to up grade. With the big price tags on MTB bikes I need guidens as what to buy. Looking for a 26' hardtail, except if I can be convinced otherwise

Merida TFS900 - R10 499 - Brand Spanking New

Great specks:

XT - Rear Derailure

SLX - Crank, Front Derail & Shifters

Manitou Minute Air Fork with Remote Lockout

PM Me!

post-4352-0-26838300-1337232869.jpg

Merida TFS900 - R10 499 - Brand Spanking New

Great specks:

XT - Rear Derailure

SLX - Crank, Front Derail & Shifters

Manitou Minute Air Fork with Remote Lockout

PM Me!

post-4352-0-26838300-1337232869.jpg

Geeeez! Almost sounds too good to be tue :thumbup:

Upgrading your fork to Air, would be around R3600 for RockShox Recon. Very rarely works out cheaper to upgrade groupsets or suspension afterwords if you compare the price of the upgrades + value of your bike to what you can get for a new bike at that combined value.

Geeeez! Almost sounds too good to be tue :thumbup:

I tell you no lies ... have Medium and Large in stock, which one do you want?

There's a Morewood Shova going for 11k here and on the contermanskloof mtb trails fb page. That's what I'd get, personally.

You haven't listed the type of riding you do though. So it may be the wrong bike for your style.

Can't go wrong with that option. Awesome bike that you can configure for trail and xc

from www.thesportsbasement.co.za I got a 2011 Specialized Rockhopper with SLX rear derailler, Octalink cranks, deore shifters, Juicy 3 brakes and Rockshoc Recon Silver front shock for 6K. they are in Joburg though, So if you shop around you will get a good deal with some money to spare

look out for a top end 26er HT that someone is getting rid of to 'upgrade' to bigger wheels........

I tell you no lies ... have Medium and Large in stock, which one do you want?

Teeeheee, when my backside feels too spoilt in a year or two- i'll give a shout for that HT :whistling: