Tips/Advice - Lord of the Chain Rings Hogsback

leeannc

Does anyone have any tips / advice for The Lord of the Chain Rings stage race in Hogsback? I see it's generally muddy every year, any particular spares to consider?

Spare set of climbing legs would be good... :)

Spare brake pads for sure. and make sure your cleats are not worn out before the start - nothing worse than not being able to uncleat because that little bump is worn - and they do seem to wear quickly in the mud.

And enough spare clean and dry kit for every day - nothing worse than cold wet gloves and sleeves on a fresh morning.

Good luck - enjoy it.

Luckily all the waterpoints are stocked with Squirt Lube, so you will be able to top-up on-route :-)

Thank you everyone...will keep all this in mind...really looking forward to riding it! Should bring back plenty childhood memories :w00t:

HAVE BEEN UP ON THE MOUNTAIN SCOUTING MORE NEW ROUTES.......WORD FROM THE WEATHER GODS IS ITS GOING TO BE DRY 2012. WE HAVE A BACK UP BIKE SHOP BUT IF YOU RIDE SOMETHING DIFF. OR SPESCIAL BRING A GEAR HANGER EXT. AND A PIECE OFF WIRE , JOHN MASTER MECHANIC WILL FIX MOST THINGS IF NEED BE.

2010 Was dry and HOT and 2011 WET!! Only thing both had in common was the level of enjoyment!!!

But as mentioned spare brake pads is a must as you do tend to use them quite a bit on the downhill sections and especially if it is muddy.

Training wise I would suggest doing lots of climbing training as there is a 'fair' amount involved.

O and get a decent set or two of riding shorts, unless if you are strong enough to stand all the way ... in which case I bow down to you :clap:

Additionally bring some good MTB spirit and you WILL love this one ... Guaranteed!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

There are still about 20 Team spots available to get into this year's Lord of the Chain Rings!

So act quickly!!

From the website / Entry form I can only see opportunity for teams to enter so I take it one cannot enter as an individual?

• 1 month later...

From the website / Entry form I can only see opportunity for teams to enter so I take it one cannot enter as an individual?

Hi DAM, yeah this is a team event. But get a mate and trust me you WILL enjoy!!!

It is amazing how the weather can change in Hogsback last year day one was wet,day two was dry until 10 k from the end and day 3 was dry.

As Dr d says it is a party with the stages usually shorter on day one and 3, day 2 is the longest.

Racing is usually completed by lunch time and then R&R and the daily prizegivings at night is one big party.

Great event.

The weather is pretty unpredictable at that time of year, but it's stunning whatever. Day 2 is always the toughest, and this year will be no different, just a new, equally challenging route. Bring it on.

So the sun has turned and on its way back south, days getting longer and east cape winters feeling like summer.

I have been hard at work sorting the routes for 2012 race....its gonna be great. Some favourite sections mixed up in 3 great days of riding. Trying to make it more ridable but no less challanging. ONLY REAL MOUNTAIN BIKING- no preservatives

Think still limited entries left ... so do yourself a favour enter asap before entries run out