Shimano STX RC groupset

Morwa

Hubbers I need some assistance please. A friend of mine has a 1993 TREK ST120. The bike has full 7-speed Shimano STX RC components (...apparently it was the XTR of 1993!).

The barrel connector stripped on the right shifter while changing cables. And, the shifters and cantilever brake levers are integrated (like today's matchmakers on SRAM).

If we can't source a "new" shifter/unit.... what can we do? Will a 8-speed cluster fit on the 7-speed STX RC hub? Can we still source 8-speed shifters and seperate cantilever brake levers?

PM me please....

post-3806-0-98838700-1338646893.jpg

Sorry, I can't help with the what-fits-what discussion, but I do know that STX-RC came below LX (and XT and XTR) in the Shimano lineup. I had the same group set on a 97 Giant Sedona.

TX for the clarification GBguy. I nerver knew the STX-RC range. My first MTB was a 1997 Gary Fisher Montare (XT components)..... a long time ago!

Sorry, I can't help with the what-fits-what discussion, but I do know that STX-RC came below LX (and XT and XTR) in the Shimano lineup. I had the same group set on a 97 Giant Sedona.

I thought LX replaced STX-RC. But then again, way before my time :)

The STX-RC stuff was very much entry level above Acera and Alivio.

Still a good set of components for their time.

As for the stripped barrel adjuster. You could just clean out the stripped thread and leave it as is. Use the lock ring instead to do the barrel adjustments.

This is a temporary solution until you can source another unit.

TX for all the replies.

@Maxxis, the lock-ring is on the brakes.... Our barrel connector on the shifters stripped.

Edited by Morwa

Aaaargh. Fingers clearly engadged before my brain. Sorry man.

Hope you find a replacement soon.

STX was the precursor to Deore, STX being LX and STX RC being XT. They were phased out in 96/97 when Deore LX / XT came around. So the STX RC was the equivalent of XT in the day. VERY good gruppo. Strong. Light. Reliable. It was on the '96 Sedona as the top of the line (below XTR) before it was phased out, much like LX was phased out of MTB in order to make space for SLX.

Alivio had just made an entry into the market in '96/'97. Much like the Shimano 100 / 600 gruppos were phased out in favour of the 105/dura ace/ultegra gruppos.

In answering your q, I'm not sure whether you'll be able to source a set of STX RC levers / shifters. They are old. And probably held onto like gold dust. As for 7 speed shifters, no way. the Cantilever brake levers, for sure. Check out CRC for some V brake levers (xt/xtr/lx etc) but I'm afraid that you may be headed towards the world of upgrades wrt the shifters. Reason I say that is that the min new shifter out there at the moment are things like Acera, which have a *** design (shifter levers above AND below bars, really non ergonomic) so yo umay have to go up to the 9 speed side of things....

Sorry bud. Try to have a look on sites such as e-bay or the forums overseas if you want the period-correct combo. Otherwise, I'm afraid you may have to upgrade the cassette/shifter/chain etc. Possibly even the crank, as the 7 speed chains are quite a bit wider (in terms of internal width on the links) than current day speed chains.

Alternatively, go for the Altus derailleurs and a v brake lever setup. But I'd bet my bottom dollar that the Altus RD shifter, even though it's 15 years on, is not of the same build quality as the STX rc's.

STX was the precursor to Deore, STX being LX and STX RC being XT. They were phased out in 96/97 when Deore LX / XT came around. So the STX RC was the equivalent of XT in the day. VERY good gruppo. Strong. Light. Reliable. It was on the '96 Sedona as the top of the line (below XTR) before it was phased out, much like LX was phased out of MTB in order to make space for SLX.

Hmmm Captain, you're close, but let me show my biking age...

Deore LX and XT were both around pre-STX RC (way before it, in fact - I had a pair of Deore XT thumb shifters in 1989 already). Deore had a mid-range gruppo named DX at that stage as well, which was later phased out. In latter day terms, I'd say STX RC would be close to plain Deore, but slightly better (still quite a bit below SLX). Back then, STX was a little better than Alivio was, and STX RC was a slight bit pimper. I think I may still have some RC stuff somewhere in a box, but unfortunately I don't have time to dig at the moment, otherwise I'd offer.

Hmmm Captain, you're close, but let me show my biking age...

Deore LX and XT were both around pre-STX RC (way before it, in fact - I had a pair of Deore XT thumb shifters in 1989 already). Deore had a mid-range gruppo named DX at that stage as well, which was later phased out. In latter day terms, I'd say STX RC would be close to plain Deore, but slightly better (still quite a bit below SLX). Back then, STX was a little better than Alivio was, and STX RC was a slight bit pimper. I think I may still have some RC stuff somewhere in a box, but unfortunately I don't have time to dig at the moment, otherwise I'd offer.

Consider me corrected then.... almost there though!

Edited by cptmayhem

Cheap fix though...

Which portion has stripped? The barrel adjuster itself, or the bit that the barrel adjuster fits into (inside the shifter)?

Whichever has stipped (and I'm guessing it's the adjuster itself here) you can do the following.

Re-thread the adjuster with a slightly smaller (OD - outside diameter) thread.

Put some 372 epoxy inside the shifter body, where the thread is. Wait 30 - 45 minutes, so that the epoxy turns semi-hard but can still be re-formed and adjusted.

Thread the re-threaded barrel adjuster into the shifter (with the epoxy insert) so that the new thread (on the barrel adjuster) effectively bores a "new" threads into the shifter's body. Remove the barrel adjuster, and do it again in another 5 minutes. Remove again and set aside.

wait until the epoxy has set (approx 6 - 7 hours, temp & humdity dependent, 24 hours to be safe) and you should have a "new" thread in the shifter, that fits the re-threaded barrle adjuster.

It's the long way around, but will save your mate a bit of tom and the shifter assembly will still be very strong.

Edited by cptmayhem

You can't run any more gears than 7 on that bike. The freewheel is too narrow. 8,9 and 10 speed all use the same width freewheel but 7 is slightly narrower. You might be able to fit a wider freewheel to the hub but not all of them have the same connection to the hub body so you will have to take it in to a lbs if you wanna go that route. I had deore dx on my 92 diamondback apex. Still have the hubs on a bike and the still run well and look sweet! Still got a few other bits too, cranks, rear derallier and brake levers but they are in the museum section of the garage. Next to the diamondback frame.