epic bike : HT or DS

amoryns

So the Epic hype starts again ^_^ . If you're either a strong rider (good climber) or a taller person, go for a 29er. Dual will give you more comfort , but if you are used to the HT already, stick with it. I did this years Epic on a Dualie and my partner rode a HT. My ass came off worse than his.

ry waarmee jy gemaklik is. as jy harde gat het ry jou HT :)

Edited by Toxic

So glad for this thread... :clap:

I am sitting with the same question... I am a lady also had hardtail my entire life(26'), absolutely love it! But now everyone is telling me that i'll be crazy to attempt the Epic on a hardtail, they even had a go at me at the Sani2C...

So now i'm terribly confused as to whether get a duel suspenion, 29'er or just stay on hardtail...

So please keep the advice coming and say why you pick the one you do...

If you have ridden HT all the time, then perhaps consider sticking with it. A dual will give you some added comfort, but you sacrifice weight. 29er for taller riders or if you are below average height, but very fit, then a 29er could work too. Just because everyone's riding 29er's , doesn't mean you should too. I have seen plenty riders on 29er's where it's clear they are not right for the wheel size. When buying a bike, wheel size (26 inch, 27.5 inch which will come or 29 inch) should factor in as much as frame size.

no, i am not even considering a 29er.I am a female, 1.64 and weigh 55.....I have never rideen DS....cant really see how it will be beneficial

no, i am not even considering a 29er.I am a female, 1.64 and weigh 55.....I have never rideen DS....cant really see how it will be beneficial

With your weight a DS is of no use .Stick with your Ht and get wider tyres that you can ride at lower pressures.Riding style with ht v ds is different.If you like standing to excellerate ,Ht is better. 29er Ht is a great bike for anyone Edited by arendoog

With your weight a DS is of no use .Stick with your Ht and get wider tyres that you can ride at lower pressures.Riding style with ht v ds is different.If you like standing to excellerate ,Ht is better

wider tyre in front?

Ever ridden 8 days in a row? 5 to 8 hours a day?

Come back after the Epic and tell us how good you feel having just ridden it on a HT. I'll be the one laughing at your discomfort.

By day 6 you'll find their just is not a comfortable way to sit on a saddle. Add the fact that that saddle transmits every bump right onto your bum.

Ever ridden 8 days in a row? 5 to 8 hours a day?

Come back after the Epic and tell us how good you feel having just ridden it on a HT. I'll be the one laughing at your discomfort.

By day 6 you'll find their just is not a comfortable way to sit on a saddle. Add the fact that that saddle transmits every bump right onto your bum.

wow thanks

With your weight a DS is of no use .Stick with your Ht and get wider tyres that you can ride at lower pressures.Riding style with ht v ds is different.If you like standing to excellerate ,Ht is better. 29er Ht is a great bike for anyone

I disagree. Before I had my son I was 55kgs and the DS bike made a big difference to comfort and absorbing rocks and roots etc. I was able to go faster through the technical stuff.

I disagree. Before I had my son I was 55kgs and the DS bike made a big difference to comfort and absorbing rocks and roots etc. I was able to go faster through the technical stuff.

26er?

Consider testing the ladies specific frames out there, unless you're riding for a podium.

Something like this would work quite well:

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/221770008/bike-contessa-spark-rc-l/

Decent spec and nice little innovations like the duel lock out makes suspension management relatively easy. Its also quite light compared to other ladies bikes

Other option is this one:

http://www.specialized.com/za/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=62038&scid=1100&scname=Mountain

Slightly heavier but with a more relaxed geometry.

Consider testing the ladies specific frames out there, unless you're riding for a podium.

http://www.scott-spo...ssa-spark-rc-l/

Decent spec and nice little innovations like the duel lock out makes suspension management relatively easy. Its also quite light compared to other ladies bikes

http://www.specializ...scname=Mountain

hi

I am not a fan of ladies specific frames. the frames are heavier and the setup not as aggresive

http://www.scott-spo...ssa-spark-rc-l/

http://www.specializ...scname=Mountain

if it was to be a DS...cannondale scalpel or spezialized s-works or stumpjumper?

With your weight a DS is of no use .Stick with your Ht and get wider tyres that you can ride at lower pressures.Riding style with ht v ds is different.If you like standing to excellerate ,Ht is better. 29er Ht is a great bike for anyone

Not much of this going on in the Epic.