2012 94.7

Agteros

Age means nothing! Okay so I'm with you on the denial thing...

I do the Sabie and Barberton marathons and they are very difficult endurance events but 94.7 is hard in a very different way. I finished the Magoebas 80 km in 5 hrs with much less stress than trying for a 2:55 94.7.

There's your reason: you aren't going nearly hard enough on the road if you find them a walk in the park.

If you are riding the 70 km marathons you wil find FAR less weaker riders taking part, they are often intimidated by the 70 s and ride the 40. Because its relatively easy to complete road events slowly there are much more less fit riders taking part (except Kremetart 175 or Jock).

You riding Panorama next year?

Actually sad how some measure themselves against the weakest riders out there! Events like the 94.7 and Cape Argus WILL pull all kinds of people with bicycles to contest the 'challenge' because of 1.) peer pressure, 2.) safety (closure), 3.) nanny-ness (many water points, safety marshals roaming mechanics, 4.) "I did it"-ness. This is now vs MTB marathons where 1.) everybody tells everybody else how tough they were for competing in these (making it rue to some extend), 2.) remoteness of route 3.) No real help visible/available

Get a skinny road bike and go ride VA/VB/VC or A bunch. Stick with the bunch to the end (or ride away from them), and THEN come back and tell everybody how easy road cycling is! 30km/h or less hardly qualifies as race pace on road bike!

See you all the the Jock at the Creamy Tart next winter! But first, back to my flat running shoes ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's your reason: you aren't going nearly hard enough on the road if you find them a walk in the park.

Eish I gave it full taps on Sunday. Starting in DD I was continually passing people all the way to the finish, and was up in the top 10% of the group. That's on road bike (CAAD5 from CAAD4), maybe it was my new tubeless wheels that gave me an impetus. I really enjoyed the day, great being out with so many other cyclists and having the roads to ourselves. Flying through traffic lights, regardless of their state was a particular pleasure, as was seeing Metro cops doing something useful for a change.

What I do also find with mtb events, the smaller the field, the further back I finish. Even have had the dubious pleasure of being last in (Magoeboes a few years back for instance). Its more about pace, I ride at my own pace, one that I know will take to the end and allow me to finish with some composure. Guess I could train more but there is a limit to how seriously I take this sport. I commute a few days a week, with a great climb coming home, and take a few longer weekend rides, or a drive out to Groenies if time permits.

But I am going to target a weight reduction for Barberton, lets see how that effects the results. Would be nice to get in in time for the prize giving for once. And should have my new Scalpel 650b ready in time for Barbs as well.

Actually sad how some measure themselves against the weakest riders out there! Events like the 94.7 and Cape Argus WILL pull all kinds of people with bicycles to contest the 'challenge' because of 1.) peer pressure, 2.) safety (closure), 3.) nanny-ness (many water points, safety marshals roaming mechanics, 4.) "I did it"-ness. This is now vs MTB marathons where 1.) everybody tells everybody else how tough they were for competing in these (making it rue to some extend), 2.) remoteness of route 3.) No real help visible/available

Get a skinny road bike and go ride VA/VB/VC or A bunch. Stick with the bunch to the end (or ride away from them), and THEN come back and tell everybody how easy road cycling is! 30km/h or less hardly qualifies as race pace on road bike!

See you all the the Jock at the Creamy Tart next winter! But first, back to my flat running shoes ;)

See you at the creamy tart robox. As for running - should only happen when something dangerous is chasing you!

Eish I gave it full taps on Sunday. Starting in DD I was continually passing people all the way to the finish, and was up in the top 10% of the group. That's on road bike (CAAD5 from CAAD4), maybe it was my new tubeless wheels that gave me an impetus. I really enjoyed the day, great being out with so many other cyclists and having the roads to ourselves. Flying through traffic lights, regardless of their state was a particular pleasure, as was seeing Metro cops doing something useful for a change.

What I do also find with mtb events, the smaller the field, the further back I finish. Even have had the dubious pleasure of being last in (Magoeboes a few years back for instance). Its more about pace, I ride at my own pace, one that I know will take to the end and allow me to finish with some composure. Guess I could train more but there is a limit to how seriously I take this sport. I commute a few days a week, with a great climb coming home, and take a few longer weekend rides, or a drive out to Groenies if time permits.

But I am going to target a weight reduction for Barberton, lets see how that effects the results. Would be nice to get in in time for the prize giving for once. And should have my new Scalpel 650b ready in time for Barbs as well.

Weight reduction makes a massive difference!

You won't experience racing pressure in DD no matter how hard you ride. The pain comes from hanging a really fast bunch as long as you can.

You doing Barberton 75 km? See you on the climbs!

You doing Barberton 75 km? See you on the climbs!

Most definitely there, with a bit more pace this time I hope. Time this year was 6:27. Long day on the saddle, but enjoyed every moment of it.