Crash on Chapmans peak (10/06/12)

Zac.A

Was on the scene minutes after it happened. The paramedics were also really quick on the scene.

From what I picked up this happened on a blind corner where cyclist are coming down heading towards Hout Bay at really high speed. Motorists who turn off to those viewing areas are totally oblivious and misjudge the speed at which these cyclists approach. This is a 60km/h zone and it's easy to get carried away by not being cautious with cyclists reaching speeds well over 70km/h. There's been times where I too needed to take drastic action coming around a bend only to find a car crossing over on the last minute. To me it looked like it was just an unfortunate situation and honest accident.

All the best to Gerrit and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Was on the scene minutes after it happened. The paramedics were also really quick on the scene.

From what I picked up this happened on a blind corner where cyclist are coming down heading towards Hout Bay at really high speed. Motorists who turn off to those viewing areas are totally oblivious and misjudge the speed at which these cyclists approach. This is a 60km/h zone and it's easy to get carried away by not being cautious with cyclists reaching speeds well over 70km/h. There's been times where I too needed to take drastic action coming around a bend only to find a car crossing over on the last minute. To me it looked like it was just an unfortunate situation and honest accident.

All the best to Gerrit and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Terrible terrible incident - just one correction though, The whole of Hout Bay side of Chappies is actually a 40kph Zone, apart from just near the top (where you have your ticket checked) which is a 20k Zone. The final climb from the Noordhoek side is a 20k zone the whole way (I saw the signs when I was down for argus and was surprised, so I double checked hte next time i rode it :) )

Anybody know if the guy is ok and what exactly happened?

rode past and saw him on the roof of a car with some people helping him, was absolutely stunned and shocked.

Apparently he's gonna be ok!

post-5134-0-68545300-1339393706.jpg

Edited by LOUDMAC

Not to detract from this topic and Gert's recovery

1 more correction - going from Hout bay towards Noordhoek speed limits:

40km/h at the bottom Hout bay side

20km/h from about 1.2km up just before the sharp left turn - and PPA singage saying cyclist keep left ride single file - position of PPA singage? I have asked for it to be taken down! A lot of cyclist are doing 20km/h in this zone.

20 km/h till about 2km/h after the current toll gate

40km/h from that point till toll man at top

20km/h from their for the next 2km/h - well thats what the signage says

How much money could be made by putting a speeding camera up on Campmans peak? doing 40km/h in a 20km/h zone, the fine would be no diffrent to doing 240km/h in 120km/h zone from my understanding it is caculated as a % over the speed limit!