Should the Pyro2000/Magicshine MJ880 get a flash/strobe mode?

Bike Lore

To flash or not to flash  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Magicshine add a flash/strobe mode to the Pyro2000/MJ880

• Yes. Replace a mode with flash/strobe mode
    • Yes. but pushing two buttons should activate it.
    • no, not neaded. who ever uses the flash/strobe mode

This is the chance to voice your opinion about the flash/strobe mode on a cycle light.

Magicshine asked me if it is needed so let hear it. what do you think?

At the moment the Pyro2000/Maigchsine MJ880 does not have a flash/strobe mode. it has 5 level setting that can be changed using the plus and minus buttons.

It was the first thing I asked myself when I got my Magic-Shine & Pyro Lights. I would like it to have the flashing option.

Not specifically related to the MJ880 but does apply I think. I have a MJ808 and when I was looking for a light, the flashing/SOS mode was a feature I wanted. After using the light I find those features a nuisance. When I want to go from Mid/Lo back to High, I have to cycle through both flash and SOS modes. The flashing mode (or epileptic mode as my mate calls it) and the SOS mode (what the heck they have that for is beyond me...) are more of an irritation to me that serving any useful purpose.

WTF is the strobe mode for?

It just causes blindness and annoyance when scrolling modes

I think the lights should have Bright, Dimmer, Dim, Dimmest (if applicable) then back to bright. You should have to hold the clicky 2 secs to switch off.

Try descending a pass at full ball, only to realise you need MORE light and clicking the button turn the thing to strobe and blinds you then off, so you cant see jack either, and ONLY then the bright light you want.

WTF is the strobe mode for?

It just causes blindness and annoyance when scrolling modes

I think the lights should have Bright, Dimmer, Dim, Dimmest (if applicable) then back to bright. You should have to hold the clicky 2 secs to switch off.

Try descending a pass at full ball, only to realise you need MORE light and clicking the button turn the thing to strobe and blinds you then off, so you cant see jack either, and ONLY then the bright light you want.

When you are running out of batteries, it is an option that will still make you visible still. Better for longer rides on the road as well. I only ever used strobe mode while commuting.

strobe is useful if you want to be seen, for example if you are commuting. I hate it also that there is a SOS mode and I don't think strobe should be part of the normal mode cycle.

what is sos mode?

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that once in this mode it will flash off the SOS signal.

what is sos mode?

It is an irritation and a waste of a click....

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that once in this mode it will flash off the SOS signal.

That would be correct and see my comment above.....

When you are running out of batteries, it is an option that will still makes you visible still. Better for longer rides on the road as well. I only ever used strobe mode while commuting.

1000% correct!

The strobe is enough to see with whilst commuting plus it also makes YOU and not the road more visible. I would certainly not buy any light without the strobe function.. WTF are we hiding from.! We need to be seen when commuting!!!!

Edited by Sepia

Set the strobe to flash at 8 Hertz, that way it can be used as a defensive weapon.

8 Hertz is a brain wave frequency, and can bright lights at that frequency can induce disorientation and even an epileptic fit in susceptible people.

On a PYRO 2000... the only way you will not be seen is after you blind oncoming traffic!

sheesh how long is your commute that you run out of batteries even 1h30 is like 50km one way.

sheesh how long is your commute that you run out of batteries even 1h30 is like 50km one way.

Batteries nowadays are Li-Ion. There is no excuse for running out of batteries.

On a PYRO 2000... the only way you will not be seen is after you blind oncoming traffic!

Gonna go out on another limb here and say when you forgot to charge the battery. Also the previous light I used had three small duracell batteries and saves battery power on flashing function.

Strobe is great to be see will riding early hours of the morning so motorist can see you coming its a good idea to have it so strobe hi med low will be perfect