8sp cheapie to 9sp mountain goat

Wayne Watson

Hi guys, I am busy sorting my old bike to accomodate 9 sp. The kit I have ordered is as follows:

Sram x5 shifters 3x9

Sram x9 rear deraileur

Sram Pg970 casette, and

SRAM PC951 chain...

The rear hub is Shimano FHM 475 which, according to the shimano catalogue, can only accomodate 9 speed and not 10 speed, (hence the reason I am sticking to nine)

The question is, do I have to buy a different crankset?

The current one is a Truvativ crank that came with the bike which was 8speed...

I upgraded not long ago an 8 to 9sp with SLX shifters and new cassette, kept the FD, RD, crank and chain and all works 100%

I ride it no problem, gear changes good and have no issues!

went to my LBS to ask the same thing, they wanted to change almost everything, and then tried to sell be a new bike due to upgrade pricing

went to my LBS to ask the same thing, they wanted to change almost everything, and then tried to sell be a new bike due to upgrade pricing

Had EXACTLY the same thing which I bitched about on another thread... These guys just don't get it. Do they really think we're all that dumb?? (and rich - there's a big difference btwn 1 and 10 grand) They lost me as a customer!!

No Need to change the crank.

@JTK - This is the case for newer hubs, especially road. But my MTB also only support 8 and 9 speed... So I also did the same - Jump from 8 to 9 without hassles...

Thanks Willie. what is the diffs between the new and older style hubs. Asking since I am new to MTB :)

I upgraded last year and no need to change crankset, 8spd works 100%. I would change the FD only when you change your crankset.

You can even keep the same chain. Heck, my RD is still an 8spd one.

Thanks, I am not the richest of guys, so this has to happen in stages...

Shot for the advice!

Thanks, I am not the richest of guys, so this has to happen in stages...

Shot for the advice!

If you have not already bought then check with CWCycles (email him direct) - they had some killer deals on 9spd shifters last year and thats how I was able to upgrade.