AM tyres... what you running?

patches

The middle compound. Dunno what the names are. He's not even running the super gravity on the DH bike.

trailstar. Must say, the trailstar stuff is pretty darn good. The SG stuff.. well. its mostly a weight saving, but i can see the value of SG tech having a fairly substantial bearing on traction as well, in that because the side walls are so stiff, you can run lower pressures without sacrificing side walls stiffness. Maxxis is very prone to that, in that below a set pressure and depending on how you ride, the whole damn tyre starts rolling over. Pottie had that problem at Helderberg, and i almost suggested he switch to schwalbes. But of course, that would be a conflict of sponsorship. Reminds me of the day I offered him a cold can of Monster. The looking of oh_fck_how_do_politely_decline_this on his face was precious :D

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can you get the Wtb Bronson in SA, prices?

I would also like to know. I loved the 2.1 Bronson on my xc bike, and the wife still rides it. lekker tyres those.

Saw some at my Lbs a while (about a week) ago . Will check tomorrow if you want .

If they have will get contact details .

what pressure you riding at?

Running it at 2 bar but will try a little lower, say 1.8. I'm just worried about bottoming out on the rim. That's what was happening to my 2.2 MK in front but hopefully with bigger volume shouldn't be prob.

Guest Omega Man

trailstar. Must say, the trailstar stuff is pretty darn good. The SG stuff.. well. its mostly a weight saving, but i can see the value of SG tech having a fairly substantial bearing on traction as well, in that because the side walls are so stiff, you can run lower pressures without sacrificing side walls stiffness. Maxxis is very prone to that, in that below a set pressure and depending on how you ride, the whole damn tyre starts rolling over. Pottie had that problem at Helderberg, and i almost suggested he switch to schwalbes. But of course, that would be a conflict of sponsorship. Reminds me of the day I offered him a cold can of Monster. The looking of oh_fck_how_do_politely_decline_this on his face was precious :D

Yoh you said a lot of technical stuff there.

He's go his bike pretty light it has to be said. 16.5kg for a medium Morewood Makulu with a 40 is pretty light. He's not got a TI spring in the rear or anything like that. The weight saving is all in the wheels with the HD's (tubeless) and the deemax ultimate wheelset.

Running it at 2 bar but will try a little lower, say 1.8. I'm just worried about bottoming out on the rim. That's what was happening to my 2.2 MK in front but hopefully with bigger volume shouldn't be prob.

well, my pressure is around the same mark, between 2.0 and 1.8 bar pressure. it really depends on the terrain. if you have lotsa square edged hits in a row, you gonna ding as some point. I highly recommend ear plugs ;P

I dont mind the dings tbh, it's part of MTB. but i did upgrade my wheelset just to reduce the risk of a wheel implosion to a minimum. Went from my stock giant PC-X rims to mavic EX823. If it wasn't for the long ass wait, i would've gone with their newest rim, the EX821. It's a 'cheaper' version of their latest enduro specific rims, same way the 823s are a cheaper (and less machined and thus heavier) version of their deemax rims. At least the 821s have the interspoke milling, so they look pretty sexy.

Yoh you said a lot of technical stuff there.

He's go his bike pretty light it has to be said. 16.5kg for a medium Morewood Makulu with a 40 is pretty light. He's not got a TI spring in the rear or anything like that. The weight saving is all in the wheels with the HD's (tubeless) and the deemax ultimate wheelset.

Thats 1kg heavier than my Mbuzi :o

How much does the tyre sell for?

Where can you get the Wtb Bronson in SA, prices?

International Trade are the agents. They were around R500 when I got mine but with new shipment the exchange rate I think it will be more. I don't really frequent any bike shops so no idea where else to get.

Here's my latest attempt at finding a decent rear tyre that will handle the kind of abuse I dish out. It replaces my "still servicable but not up to the task" Purgatory 2.3. The Purgatory has leaky sidewalls and loses air making it prone to burping unless carefully monitored. So for the Bronson seems airtight and probably a better match strength wise for the HD on the front... It weight around 800g! We shall see.

How is it going? I also have a Bronson on the rear. If you get the pressure just right for your weight it has superb grip. However, slightly under or over and you wallow in tyre roll or just slide with no grip. Still the best tyre I've ever run on my Intense.

How is it going? I also have a Bronson on the rear. If you get the pressure just right for your weight it has superb grip. However, slightly under or over and you wallow in tyre roll or just slide with no grip. Still the best tyre I've ever run on my Intense.

that bronson sounds like a Kenda NeverAgain. Similar situation with a very narrow range of pressure otherwise things goes properly pearshaped either side of it.

that bronson sounds like a Kenda NeverAgain. Similar situation with a very narrow range of pressure otherwise things goes properly pearshaped either side of it.

It's not difficult to keep it in the right window once you know what that And unlike the Nevergal, it's not too heavy, never burps, and rolls very well.

It's not difficult to keep it in the right window once you know what that And unlike the Nevergal, it's not too heavy, never burps, and rolls very well.

Never had issues with the Nevegals before with respect to burping or finding a pressure sweet spot ... but it is heavy and rolls like a pig

Never had issues with the Nevegals before with respect to burping or finding a pressure sweet spot ... but it is heavy and rolls like a pig

Could have been the rims I had then. But aren't they are now a bit old tech like Crossmarks.

all depends on how hard you ride to begin with. In general, if are not transitioning to your side knobs often or at all, then you wont understand.