AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Based on the same section of trail and the same type of riding. Rubber Queen worked better than the HD in that situation. Won't bank on it for other scenarios.

might be due to the compound. That black chilli compound has a much slower rebound than the trailstar compound in the HD, Hence the advisement to continue dropping the pressure until it bites in the gravel on hardpack. Keen to try some HDs with vertstar compound. There's definitely a difference in similar conditions when using the MM. But I can't discount the possible influence of the tread pattern on the MM in aiding grip.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run single ply minnion 2.35 tubeless without hassle.

I have been very keen on these .... how heavy are you and how hard do you have to run the pressure to keep them from "squirming" .. well at least I assume they would considering they have a non UST side wall or are the side walls nice and tough?

I am assuming they are fold-able and not wire bead?

hairy: even with UST minions, they squirm at pressures the snakeskin schwalbes dont even fold yet. slight exaggeration, but they are truly worlds apart when it comes to sidewall stiffness and when low pressure results in tyre roll/squirming.

I have to admit, my initial negative reaction to the tyre roll with minions up front has changed to one of acceptance: the grip on those minions are amazing. Still disconcerting, but not as much as before. I'd still roll Schwalbe any day because the rim dings with those minions at the pressures i prefer them at, are the suck.

Edited by Capricorn

hairy: even with UST minions, they squirm at pressures the snakeskin schwalbes dont even fold yet. slight exaggeration, but they are truly worlds apart when it comes to sidewall stiffness and when low pressure results in tyre roll/squirming.

Interesting thanks ... I have a set of 2.25" ardents on the SS 29'er and those puppies can run nice and low pressure with very little to no squirm.

So the snake skin is the bees knees then?

On saturday I ended up slashing the rear tyre (Mountan King Tubeless) and it died.

So I figured it's time to look at putting new shoes on the AM bike.

I'm wanting a combo that:

• grips well in various conditions and terrains.
  • Doesn't weigh a ton
  • low-ish rolling resistance
  • long-ish lasting
  • oh, and tubeless

I know that there's nothing that will satisfy ALL those criteria perfectly. But here's a combo or 3 that I have in mind.

1. Mounting King II 2.4 Protection (front), X-King 2.4 Protection (rear)
  2. Mountain King II 2.4 Protection (front & rear)
  3. Rubber Queen 2.4 UST (front), X-king 2.4 Protection (rear)

Mounatin king II

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/83000.jpg

Rubber Queen

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/29790.jpg

X-King

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/83005.jpg

Those are just the Continental options...

So yeah... what are you peeps running that you have been muchos impressed with?

If your asking then we are all in trouble!

Edited by Pusher

Interesting thanks ... I have a set of 2.25" ardents on the SS 29'er and those puppies can run nice and low pressure with very little to no squirm.

So the snake skin is the bees knees then?

IMO, yes. when it comes to sidewall damage, including bead damage: Maxxis 3 - Schwalbe SS 0. and I'm talking brand new Maxxis Minions. It's annoying how quickly those sidewalls get buggered. Perhaps its isolated to my experiences, but still annoying.

then there is the lower pressure for grip without resulting in rim busting dings. Schwalbe n+1 - Maxxis 0. (n being the number of rides on schwalbes)

Edited by Capricorn

might be due to the compound. That black chilli compound has a much slower rebound than the trailstar compound in the HD, Hence the advisement to continue dropping the pressure until it bites in the gravel on hardpack. Keen to try some HDs with vertstar compound. There's definitely a difference in similar conditions when using the MM. But I can't discount the possible influence of the tread pattern on the MM in aiding grip.

Running the Pacestar compound. Hardest they have and could explain the grip issues. I prefer longevity :D

Running the Pacestar compound. Hardest they have and could explain the grip issues. I prefer longevity :D

Oh dear! ;) we can't always have our cake and eat it i guess. oh well!

Guest Omega Man

I have been very keen on these .... how heavy are you and how hard do you have to run the pressure to keep them from "squirming" .. well at least I assume they would considering they have a non UST side wall or are the side walls nice and tough?

I am assuming they are fold-able and not wire bead?

Erm. I'm not very technically minded so... I like my tires hard. 32 psi rear 28 front. I replaced the minnions with Hansa Dampfs and wasn't overly impressed. the HD's for me feel a bit vague on sandy trails when leaned over. over the rock and root they feel great.

If I could have the money back I'd have stuck with the minions. purely because i like the feel of my AM bike and DH bike so be similar and I only run minions on my DH bike.

Weigh diff wasn't material cos the minnions were single ply.

That's all I can tell you.

Guest Omega Man

I'll have to start keeping better notes while I'm out riding... :ph34r:

Rather just go ride and have fun.

Erm. I'm not very technically minded so... I like my tires hard. 32 psi rear 28 front. I replaced the minnions with Hansa Dampfs and wasn't overly impressed. the HD's for me feel a bit vague on sandy trails when leaned over. over the rock and root they feel great.

If I could have the money back I'd have stuck with the minions. purely because i like the feel of my AM bike and DH bike so be similar and I only run minions on my DH bike.

Weigh diff wasn't material cos the minnions were single ply.

That's all I can tell you.

That is alot already ... could you please give an idea of your weight .... you can PM if this is sensitive issue :whistling:

Guest Omega Man

That is alot already ... could you please give an idea of your weight .... you can PM if this is sensitive issue :whistling:

like 85ish.

Guest Omega Man

Cool we are bout the same'ish

I don't know about compounds and snakeskin and any of that other stuff so you might get better advice from others.

My mate Nic raves about HD's so much he has them on his AM and DH bike. I'm not so sure myself.

Edited by Omega Man