AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, my pressure is around the same mark, between 2.0 and 1.8 bar pressure. it really depends on the terrain. if you have lotsa square edged hits in a row, you gonna ding as some point. I highly recommend ear plugs ;P

I dont mind the dings tbh, it's part of MTB. but i did upgrade my wheelset just to reduce the risk of a wheel implosion to a minimum. Went from my stock giant PC-X rims to mavic EX823. If it wasn't for the long ass wait, i would've gone with their newest rim, the EX821. It's a 'cheaper' version of their latest enduro specific rims, same way the 823s are a cheaper (and less machined and thus heavier) version of their deemax rims. At least the 821s have the interspoke milling, so they look pretty sexy.

Yeah, wasn't shy with rims, got the NSBikes fundamental when they were on special at CRC and boetie brought them down from UK. Only prob is when they do get dinged, its left with big gouges and tyre doesn't want to seal anymore, thus bring on the ghetto, works like a charm.

Just stuck a WTB Bronson 2.3 (26") out back and so far so good, although its only been ridden twice. I liked the feel of the Purgatory but it is useless as a tubless set up - run hard it was fine but it bleeds air and sealant out of the sidewalls and gets soft, and then it burps off the rim... The Bronson seems a bit thicker in the sidewall. Only thing I dont like are the rather long edge knobs which look squirmy as hell. More testing today.

all depends on how hard you ride to begin with. In general, if are not transitioning to your side knobs often or at all, then you wont understand.

I ride like a girly girl, so they worked for me.

Just stuck a WTB Bronson 2.3 (26") out back and so far so good, although its only been ridden twice. I liked the feel of the Purgatory but it is useless as a tubless set up - run hard it was fine but it bleeds air and sealant out of the sidewalls and gets soft, and then it burps off the rim... The Bronson seems a bit thicker in the sidewall. Only thing I dont like are the rather long edge knobs which look squirmy as hell. More testing today.

I might be wanting to try that useless tyre that you have lying around at home now doing nothing and taking up space causing your wife to shout at you and telling you that you have to choose between her or throwing out that rather pathetic and useless Purgatory tyre.

I might be wanting to try that useless tyre that you have lying around at home now doing nothing and taking up space causing your wife to shout at you and telling you that you have to choose between her or throwing out that rather pathetic and useless Purgatory tyre.

Dude, 26"tyres are like gold so its safely in the bike cupboard in case of emergencies like no cash for a new tyre when the wtb fails, or for said wife's bike, when she rips her tyres up!

Dude, 26"tyres are like gold so its safely in the bike cupboard in case of emergencies like no cash for a new tyre when the wtb fails, or for said wife's bike, when she rips her tyres up!

:clap: I had to try :thumbup:

Now that is a good for the tyres hanging in my garage. May I use it?

The excuse, not the tyre

Lol, next time insert the word "excuse" and yep, not copyrighted so I won't sue you...

I am gatvol now of the spaz 2.3" Ground Control.

The side wall is very "flexy" and therefore one has to run higher pressures, which in turn becomes a bit bouncy on faster rocky trails, then if you drop the pressure the damned thing flexes more than a bunch of gym bunnies showing off on Campsbay beach and burps more than Homer Simpson after a beer drinking splurge.

The tyre has shown to be tough though, rolls well, grips well and is a very good weight.

So I need a new rear tyre soon ......

I am gatvol now of the spaz 2.3" Ground Control.

The side wall is very "flexy" and therefore one has to run higher pressures, which in turn becomes a bit bouncy on faster rocky trails, then if you drop the pressure the damned thing flexes more than a bunch of gym bunnies showing off on Campsbay beach and burps more than Homer Simpson after a beer drinking splurge.

The tyre has shown to be tough though, rolls well, grips well and is a very good weight.

So I need a new rear tyre soon ......

what pressure range did u play with? It might be like the kenda nevegal, which in my experience, had a very precise sweetspot for my personal riding style.. Find that, and your ground control could be more agreeable.

what pressure range did u play with? It might be like the kenda nevegal, which in my experience, had a very precise sweetspot for my personal riding style.. Find that, and your ground control could be more agreeable.

Been trying a starting point of around 2 bar (pumped up last night) and have had to let air out to get the tyre to not bounce everywhere....not sure exactly where it is sitting after the ride this morning.

But no, the side wall is very "supple" and not nice and firm (for want of a better word) like what a UST sidewalled tyre is.

Been trying a starting point of around 2 bar (pumped up last night) and have had to let air out to get the tyre to not bounce everywhere....not sure exactly where it is sitting after the ride this morning.

But no, the side wall is very "supple" and not nice and firm (for want of a better word) like what a UST sidewalled tyre is.

ah ok. sounds single ply sidewalls. so what you lining up for as a replacement?