AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you like it

Good to see that Conti may be returning to their reliable former selves. As far as I'm aware, the original Mountain King was, well, the King when it came to AM tire specifications. Then the others caught up and left them in the dust. 

Also looks like an interesting tread pattern on that DKP. 

wasn't the DKP borne from assistance with the Athertons? I remember there being some comments the center knobs look like the high roller of old. Will be interesting if Gordo finds the switch over to the side knobs of the DKP to be similarly sudden as the HRs. Its the one thing about the old HRs that sketched me out a bit. But that was a long time ago, and maybe it won't be as bad. The HRII definitely removed that type of sketchiness.

Gordo: what pressure you running those badboys?

Right now I am running tubes to get the feel. so the dkp I am running at 2.2bar but would like to drop it a bit cause the sidewalls are so thick they feel like they are around 2.5bar. The XKing I am running at 2.4. Looking to do tubeless soon, but too stoked to go ride.

The is no vagueness with cornering at speed. At least I dont feel anything. It just sticks no matter which way you lean it.

I believe the athertons have had a major input in the tyre design and I think it is what they currently using.

I was in tokai again this morn from 7 and had a blast. However I now think I need to fit a mash gaurd or similar just to block the amount of dust and stones this tyre throws up.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Right now I am running tubes to get the feel. so the dkp I am running at 2.2bar but would like to drop it a bit cause the sidewalls are so thick they feel like they are around 2.5bar. The XKing I am running at 2.4. Looking to do tubeless soon, but too stoked to go ride.

The is no vagueness with cornering at speed. At least I dont feel anything. It just sticks no matter which way you lean it.

I believe the athertons have had a major input in the tyre design and I think it is what they currently using.

I was in tokai again this morn from 7 and had a blast. However I now think I need to fit a mash gaurd or similar just to block the amount of dust and stones this tyre throws up.

HAHHAHA!! I have the same issue with my Muddy Mary. Dang, that thing can FLING!!!

Thought my mind was made up with the Hans Dampf but looking at how guys are having issues with wear I'm not so sure now,leaning towards a Mountain king in the front and a Xking in the rear. So thinking of going with a 2.4 in the front and a 2.2 in the rear or maybe 2.4 in the rear as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought my mind was made up with the Hans Dampf but looking at how guys are having issues with wear I'm not so sure now,leaning towards a Mountain king in the front and a Xking in the rear. So thinking of going with a 2.4 in the front and a 2.2 in the rear or maybe 2.4 in the rear as well.

Guys I know that have tried the mountain king have hated them. You might want to look at the trail king. Personally I would just go xking 2.4 front and back.

Guys I know that have tried the mountain king have hated them. You might want to look at the trail king. Personally I would just go xking 2.4 front and back.

not for the front Xking on the rear but on the front you need something more agressive for some of the Enduro courses

not for the front Xking on the rear but on the front you need something more agressive for some of the Enduro courses

I have used a xking on the front before, it was actually pretty awesome for most of the #enduro trails we ride in SA.

Good luck finding a Slaughter.

Ordered one from Lynwood cyclery today. eta is one week.

I have used a xking on the front before, it was actually pretty awesome for most of the #enduro trails we ride in SA.

Ordered one from Lynwood cyclery today. eta is one week.

In what size did you get the Slaughter? The Xking does not like wet. Edited by MariusKlokie

In what size did you get the Slaughter? The Xking does not like wet.

27.5x2.3"

Edit: I have been contemplating going xking front and back for the Kzn series. Shouldn't be any hectic terrain and they are fast rolling.

Edited by Nofearnofun