Worth upgrading wheels and brakes on 26er??

T-man

Hi all

I own scott scale 50 hard tail. I enjoy the bike. Its got shimano non series brakes wich I don't enjoy. The dt swiss 4450 wheels also feels heavy. Will it make a difference to upgrade to slx brakes and a new wheel set like xt,filcrum or easton?? I ride marathons,xc and the odd stage race...

A decent wheelset is one of the best investments you can make, stiffer lighter better rolling so yes its money well spent if in fact you plan to ride that bike for at least another year or so.

Brakes are personal preference but i dont find any of shimano's breaks really that bad, even though i ride avids.

A decent wheelset is one of the best investments you can make, stiffer lighter better rolling so yes its money well spent if in fact you plan to ride that bike for at least another year or so.

Brakes are personal preference but i dont find any of shimano's breaks really that bad, even though i ride avids.

Sorry to hear :whistling:

I have the XT M775 wheelset on my 26" and love them. They look great, are light and UST. Some people don't like XT hubs and freewheel, but I've not had a single issue. Be warned though, putting UST tyres on them is really a struggle. Getting them off again, almost impossible. Rather go with tubeless ready tyres. Will be lighter too. Oh, a sidenote: the stripes on 'em are painted on, not decals. That is good because decals go shabby real quick.

Covie, what do you mean by "slightly better rolling"?

Well rolling would depend on what wheelset you choose now doesnt it.

Sorry to hear :whistling:

Please dont hurt my feeling, it doesnt like comming out a state of confusion into a state of hurt, or any other state for that matter.

You can always transfer your brakes to a 29er if you end up going that way. With a good custom wheelset you could also get 29er rims done later. Often mid-range bikes skimp on brakes and wheels, so by doing a re-build on the wheels you'll have a top end feel to a mid range bike.

I think he means they roll better down hill than up...

Hi CL, Covie did not say slightly better rolling, he said "stiffer lighter better rolling"