Where to swim, open water, in Johannesburg this Winter 2012

Seeker911

Is there set times to go and swim at base3 ? Any idea of the cost?

Edited by Klaus

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also training for 5150, my first olympic distance race. I desperately need to get some open water swims in before the race.

I gave the guys at Base 3 a call today. They are open Monday - Sunday, we are able to swim throughout the week. They have not started with the other skiing activities as yet because it is still too cold!

R21 per person

Wear a wetsuit!! He kept emphasising how cold the water is. . .

There is a similar thread here where the guys also discuss Emmerentia .... Personally I think you're all barking mad! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Emmerentia Last week Saturday....

In my wetsuit ready to roll....

I could not even swim 30m...My whole Face felt like instant brain freeze and my nasal area went into Panic mode...

I don't know how im gonna survive bella Bella.....

New wetsuit...First wetsuit swim...Im not gonna lie...I am very nervous.....

I have an 80m long dam, water you can drink, comes straight out of the mountain one farm up, and a 7km long XS track on my farm which is in the Boons area half way between Magaliesberg and Rustenburg. I've been thinking to open it up for Xterra training, it's perfect for running too. The XS track has a 1.8km climb rising 250m, has 5 bridges and is kept in perfect condition, I ride every morning before work. A very safe area, we also have 100's of km's of gravel roads around, nothing flat. Anyone interested? Dam also full of bass.

I have an 80m long dam, water you can drink, comes straight out of the mountain one farm up, and a 7km long XS track on my farm which is in the Boons area half way between Magaliesberg and Rustenburg. I've been thinking to open it up for Xterra training, it's perfect for running too. The XS track has a 1.8km climb rising 250m, has 5 bridges and is kept in perfect condition, I ride every morning before work. A very safe area, we also have 100's of km's of gravel roads around, nothing flat. Anyone interested? Dam also full of bass.

Definitely.

Definitely.

Ok, my mail address : elroyparr@gmail.com. Dam a bit low now, probably around 60m, very dry time of the year but will fill up after first rains, XS track perfect though. I'll see what response I get.

I could not even swim 30m...My whole Face felt like instant brain freeze and my nasal area went into Panic mode...

You and me both - ill take a rope so we can pull each other every other 50m.

don't race without at least once swimming with the wetsuit. I made that mistake and almost drowned..... ok I was also unfit... but not fun

Well I see the good folks are all starting to worry about Bela Bela 5150. Winter has not been kind. Went cycling this morning with the Ranburg - Sandton crowd the temperature varied between 1.5 and 6 degrees. Needless to say I am totally useless in the cold and managed a modest 26km/h average speed and got blown off the back of the pack at some point in the ride. As for swimming ja nee is all I can say. But I definitely think its a good idea to have at least 1 or 2 practise sessions in the wetsuit before 5150. Just in case you are wondering last year I did the swim in a normal tri suit no wetsuit and it was FRIKKEN cold. This year my wave starts at 13h15 so hopefully me and my newly acquired wetsuit can do better than last year. I would not worry about the swim too much though its possible to actually walk the swim if need be the water level is very low and a whole bunch of guys did a funny waddle come swim thing.

don't race without at least once swimming with the wetsuit. I made that mistake and almost drowned..... ok I was also unfit... but not fun

I get claustrophobic when I put the damn thing on. The last time I had it on I had a panic attack about 50m into the swim NOT cool. So reckon I got to try it out this weekend.

If you willing to drive, I got a place at the Vaal dam, did a recce on it over the weekend. It was unpleasant to put it lightly. 12 deg water temp, some nice foot high chop by lunch time.

I pulled on the wetsuit, put my feet in the water, took my feet out the water and fetched the canoe, and canoed with the wetsuit as air temp was about 4 degs.

I get claustrophobic when I put the damn thing on. The last time I had it on I had a panic attack about 50m into the swim NOT cool. So reckon I got to try it out this weekend.

I'm the Virgin Active idiot who trains in his wetsuit in the pool, but hey, at least I'm used to it by now.

I was at Emmerentia Last week Saturday.... In my wetsuit ready to roll.... I could not even swim 30m...My whole Face felt like instant brain freeze and my nasal area went into Panic mode... I don't know how im gonna survive bella Bella..... New wetsuit...First wetsuit swim...Im not gonna lie...I am very nervous.....

Quick question. Is it ok to just pitch and swim at Emmerentia ? is there a dedicated swim area and rules which need to be adhered to ?