2nd hand value of Bikes

JTK

This thread is purely about MTB as I have no idea about road bikes or bmx's etc :) But it is quite interesting to note that some bikes hold 2nd hand value better than others. One would imagine as cars also do the same that this should not really be all that interesting. But I find it strange given that the components on these bike are made by the same manufacturer, ie: Shimano, Sram, etc. The only different thing is the frame and that cannot be the reason? Why do we have this discrepancy in depreciation when it is pretty much the same bike. The only diffs is the manufacturer sticker. And they are little more than an assembly agent in the grand scheme of things? Is it the exclusivity of certain makes? Maybe the frames of the one is so much more superior to the other? Or the assembly skills? Cant be that though as we all put bikes together in our garages with much less QC ;)

oo and yes I understand that if a new fad comes out that the old will loose value because of. Not talking about that. As that will be across the board...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is purely about MTB as I have no idea about road bikes or bmx's etc :) But it is quite interesting to note that some bikes hold 2nd hand value better than others. One would imagine as cars also do the same that this should not really be all that interesting. But I find it strange given that the components on these bike are made by the same manufacturer, ie: Shimano, Sram, etc. The only different thing is the frame and that cannot be the reason? Why do we have this discrepancy in depreciation when it is pretty much the same bike. The only diffs is the manufacturer sticker. And they are little more than an assembly agent in the grand scheme of things? Is it the exclusivity of certain makes? Maybe the frames of the one is so much more superior to the other? Or the assembly skills? Cant be that though as we all put bikes together in our garages with much less QC ;)

oo and yes I understand that if a new fad comes out that the old will loose value because of. Not talking about that. As that will be across the board...

Not for one minute do you believe all frames are the same.

Imagine comparing my Santa Cruz to a piece of plumbing like a Giant :cursing:

Not for one minute do you believe all frames are the same.

Imagine comparing my Santa Cruz to a piece of plumbing like a Giant :cursing:

I did not compare frames as being the same. But the price diffs does not go along with the frame diffs. Lets take a Giant, Mongoose and a GT of the same price bracket with same components on. GT appears to loose value much quicker. Mongoose even more so. Why? That is my question... Edited by JTK

Its because they don't just guess the geometry, types of alu/carbon, thickness of the material! Its called research, testing and technology!

Do you think Tata and Porsche use the same technolgy and techniques for producing vehicles?

and merida ? they seem to hold value a bit better than compared to say a g1ant.

I did not compare frames as being the same. But the price diffs does not go along with the frame diffs. Lets take a Giant, Mongoose and a GT of the same price bracket with same components on. GT appears to loose value much quicker. Mongoose even more so. Why? That is my question...

1st - you pay for name...Cannonfail, Spez, those brands are for Fortuner drivers, and are more expensive frames.

Giant, GT, Mongoose, Merida are more common and readily available frames from more shops in SA.

You must "exclusivity" into account....

And then, material... I wont buy a carbon frame from Dunlop....

And then geometry investment...TREK & GF 29er geometry has taken years to perfect, where new players like Titan just design 29er frames, but they havent invested nearly as much as Trek.

Its because they don't just guess the geometry, types of alu/carbon, thickness of the material! Its called research, testing and technology!

Do you think Tata and Porsche use the same technolgy and techniques for producing vehicles?

missing the point. Tata / Porche = not the same engine/ components etc. Bikes in the same new price bracket have the same components, give or take. Aplles with apples. Frame geo cant be the be all end all as if I have bad geo I copy the next guy's geo. Cant be the type of Alu as they all almost use the same. Cant be the welding as that is the same. What is it then? Edited by JTK

and merida ? they seem to hold value a bit better than compared to say a g1ant.

my point exactly

I did not compare frames as being the same. But the price diffs does not go along with the frame diffs. Lets take a Giant, Mongoose and a GT of the same price bracket with same components on. GT appears to loose value much quicker. Mongoose even more so. Why? That is my question...

Because the ride and geometry are different.The build quality is different.etc etc Not that I would touch any of those 3 with a barge pole

missing the point. Tata / Porche = not the same engine/ components etc. Bikes in the same new price bracket have the same components, give or take. Aplles with apples. Frame geo cant be the be all end all as if I have bad geo I copy the next guy's geo. Cant be the type of Alu as they all almost use the same. Cant be the welding as that is the same. What is it then?

Stop harping on

They are not the same

Welding is not the same

And Geometry is most def not the same

Because the ride and geometry are different.The build quality is different.etc etc Not that I would touch any of those 3 with a barge pole

To be honest. I think that is where answer lies...

what's wrong with GT? Would love to hear.

Stop harping on

They are not the same

Welding is not the same

And Geometry is most def not the same

ok lets say that with bikes in the same price bracket with the same components one is flawed and the other less so. Why does the flawed one sell in the 1st place? Why are they not out of business? Surely if you buy one you are stupid when you can get another less flawed one with the same components for the same money? Or is it a case of I want to drive an Alpha/Jeep/etc and dont care about the resale?

ok lets say that with bikes in the same price bracket with the same components one is flawed and the other less so. Why does the flawed one sell in the 1st place? Why are they not out of business? Surely if you buy one you are stupid when you can get another less flawed one with the same components for the same money? Or is it a case of I want to drive an Alpha/Jeep/etc and dont care about the resale?

Very few even consider resale when they buy a bike