Scott Genius MC50 - Advice needed

Tiny K

So, I am pretty new the the MTB scene and require some assistance with the following -

I am looking at buying this MTB from a buddy for R4K and would like to have input regarding a few things.

Specs that I have are:

Front derailer = LX

Rear derailer = SLX (relatively new)

Shifters = Avid speed dial 5

Fork = Manito Black 120mm + lockout

Shock = Scott traction control + 3 position remote (lock, traction control,all travel)

Wheels = DT Swiss X450 (disc ready)

Tyres = Maxxis Crossmark (good condition)

Size is L

Now, I know that the rear shock is prone to giving k@k - is there a shock that I can replace it with? If so, what is the cost thereof?

What other possible issues are there that could cost me in the long run?

I am looking at doing a tubeless conversion, putting on disc brakes and most likely upgrading the rear shock.

post-14551-0-82979700-1343125682.jpg

Edited by Tiny K

Hi There,

Have a look at my bike for sale - scott aspect 10 - awesome ride will do good deal, wanting to sell urgently as I want to upgrade - this is a great starter bike!

I had the 08 MC40 - same rear shock. The bike was great, as you mention the shock has 3 modes of travel. I rode mainly in the 60% travel mode and for downhills switched to full travel, very rarely locked out, just felt odd going from travel mode to lock out. The shock I had was great, gave me no issues until I sent it in to Probike to be serviced. It never was the same, they seemed to not assemble it correctly and it came apart a couple hours after the service. Probike then replaced the shock with a new one. I don't see that you can replace the shock with any other off the shelf shock, this shock if I recall correctly is pulled as the suspension drops where as the common shocks out there are pushed in. All in all I loved the bike, but wanted something newer and lighter so I went to a hard tail. In hind sight I should have kept the bike and just upgraded the components, it was an awesome machine.

By the way the Scott Aspect only has 2 modes on the rear shock, Full travel and Lock out it was the little brother to the Marathon Concept (MC) Series.

In the long run however that bike you're looking at is very old, but for 4K it is ok.

I had the 08 MC40 - same rear shock. The bike was great, as you mention the shock has 3 modes of travel. I rode mainly in the 60% travel mode and for downhills switched to full travel, very rarely locked out, just felt odd going from travel mode to lock out. The shock I had was great, gave me no issues until I sent it in to Probike to be serviced. It never was the same, they seemed to not assemble it correctly and it came apart a couple hours after the service. Probike then replaced the shock with a new one. I don't see that you can replace the shock with any other off the shelf shock, this shock if I recall correctly is pulled as the suspension drops where as the common shocks out there are pushed in. All in all I loved the bike, but wanted something newer and lighter so I went to a hard tail. In hind sight I should have kept the bike and just upgraded the components, it was an awesome machine.

By the way the Scott Aspect only has 2 modes on the rear shock, Full travel and Lock out it was the little brother to the Marathon Concept (MC) Series.

In the long run however that bike you're looking at is very old, but for 4K it is ok.

Interesting that you say that the rear shock can't be replaced, is that for certain?

Ok, so found out it is an '03 model. Bought in '04 and only ridden until '08 when he got himself a Giant.

Shock has been replaced near '08 due to shock collapsing. Yes, it's a dual chamber shock that works with a pulling force, not a compressing force like most other shocks.

LBS says the shock is a maintenance nightmare, but a couple buddies have said that the amount of MTB I am going to do won't even have an effect on it.

Ouick tally on upgrades:

SLX Disk Brakeset R1600

Tubeless Conversion with UST Tires R1300

Rear Suspension R2600 plus

Thats R5500 in upgrades and R4000 for the bike = R9500

You can get a brand spanking new Merida TFS 900 with SLX Crank, SLX FD & Shifters, XT RD and Manitou Minute Air Fork with remote lockout for R10499. You'll not be buying another mans problems with this bike.

Ok its a hard tail and excluding tubeless conversion ... but get me a 100 more likes on my FB and you can have 2 of my slightly used UST tires. Ill get the bike ready so you can collect it on Saturday, pop round to my house so we can watch the rugby while we carbo-beer-loading for a mudfest of a ride on Sunday?

Hell, I'll even show you how to pop a wheelie on the new steed ... after the Stormers had their fish food of course.

post-4352-0-26139200-1343276811.jpg

eish thats an old bike, very nice but old, as Tankman says your looking at about 10k for all the upgrades including the bike, for me a 9 year old bike for 10k is steep, personally i would look towards this https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&do=view_item&item_id=34037 for half the price, add a service of the shocks and full mtb service if you like and thats about 7k( depending and where you take it of coarse) means 3k for beer etc.

thats just my 20000000000000000000000000000000 zim dollars worth

Thanks for the advice guys! Will definitely rather save up and buy a better bike (even if it is a HT).

Edit: btw, looking at getting a naainer :D

Edited by Tiny K

Ouick tally on upgrades:

SLX Disk Brakeset R1600

Tubeless Conversion with UST Tires R1300

Rear Suspension R2600 plus

Thats R5500 in upgrades and R4000 for the bike = R9500

You can get a brand spanking new Merida TFS 900 with SLX Crank, SLX FD & Shifters, XT RD and Manitou Minute Air Fork with remote lockout for R10499. You'll not be buying another mans problems with this bike.

Ok its a hard tail and excluding tubeless conversion ... but get me a 100 more likes on my FB and you can have 2 of my slightly used UST tires. Ill get the bike ready so you can collect it on Saturday, pop round to my house so we can watch the rugby while we carbo-beer-loading for a mudfest of a ride on Sunday?

Hell, I'll even show you how to pop a wheelie on the new steed ... after the Stormers had their fish food of course.

post-4352-0-26139200-1343276811.jpg

After the Stormers did what?

After the Stormers did what?

Ag well, as long as we keep beating the pink jersey pansies, eat fish food or are fish food ... much of a muchness

Yeah, Tiny - I'd personally rather get a newer bike than that one. I also think it may be too small for you, tbh!

As for the options, I reckon you should go for a 2nd hand FS. Thinking of a Trance (26") or an Anthem (if you want to go 29") but there are loads of bargains out there.

In terms of the bike here, there's nothing wrong with it. Yes, it has V Brakes, but you can pick up a set of NEW Deore disc brakes for just over a grand through CRC, so that's not an issue. And if the shock is good, and just been replaced, you need not replace it unless it goes bust again - which could happen with any shock, new or used.

BUT!

If the bike IS the right size for you, I'd still not go for it. Slap a couple of Disc Specific rims on it (also through CRC / second hand) and you'll have a seriously nice bike, but once you've bought the new rims and brakes you'd be sitting at 7 / 8 k easy. And you can get a decent secondhand FS for that much, or your new naai-ner.

Interesting that you say that the rear shock can't be replaced, is that for certain?

no, just can't accept the normal "push" type of shock. But there are aftermarket replacements that can be used without a problem. It's not a dead end, by any means.