Volcan

VicZA

Hey

It is a Swiss bike and are really good bikes, i have a XC29 full carbon Volcan and are loving it.

Sorry.......they are not Swiss. Designed by Emotion Cycles, the importers of Eddie Mercx and Cervelo in SA. Their prototypes were riden and tested by Yolande Devilliers a few years back when she was ruling the MTB roost in SA.

The "Swiss" made connection was for marketing purposes. They are highly repsected bikes as they used quality components. Andrew Mclean also rode one for a period of time.

Good bikes, but not Swiss. Silverback has moved to Germany, but the bikes that they designed here in SA, also have "Designed in Germany" printed on them. It is all marketing tools as the frames come from China anyway.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was interested in looking at them - so did a couple of searches - found on about battling to get a hanger replacement and another about a crack. only place i have seen them for sale is buycycle - phoned them and the left my number with the lady who couldnt help me - so someone who could help would phone me back - still waiting for that call back and have since bought another bike

I would agree with the above. I bought one from Emotion cycles and got a mate of mine to replicate it in CAD and another mate to make a few at a fraction of the price. I think most vendors pull the piss with hanger brackets.

Edited by BushGoblin

Volcan

...its frame is made in Taiwan....like most bikes

..its not a mainsteam brand ....or a "real" brand ?

..there are cheaper "unbranded" frames available...this seemingly holds true for any mainstream brand frame too.

...fewer people ride them....so by implication are they are not as good as the mainsteam brands ?

...no one will buy your second hand Volcan ....many will stand in line for your mainstream brand?

Before the coffee gets cold ;

...ride what you like,can afford,whats available or a combination of those.

...the bike is a tool...the rider is the machine that powers it ...sports science...if you believe it right for you it will be

...marketing and hype help sell bikes....its a psychology and science all on its own.

Finally its all good quality bull***t and people just love it.

...ride what you like,can afford,whats available or a combination of those.

...marketing and hype help sell bikes....its a psychology and science all on its own.

Finally its all good quality bull***t and people just love it.

true! and many brands use it. Sneaky buggers! From what we have seen on this thread, most of the Volcan owners were under the impression they they were riding "Swiss engineered race machines". But Swiss or not, they all love them.

...and that's rather important right there! Taiwan, China, India, Andorra, wherever.

As for me... I personally like local

Are Volcan bikes any good? I have no knowledge of them. Where are they manufactured? Are they strong? (do a lot of riding in the forests !!)

Are Volcan bikes any good? I have no knowledge of them. Where are they manufactured? Are they strong? (do a lot of riding in the forests !!)

So all the bull***t aside:

...Volcans are "good"

...their frames are made in Taiwan and are (I suppose)assembled in the South Africa using "good" groupsets etc.according to (your)budget.

...they are strong...as cross country/marathon mountain bikes are supposed to be.

...they can last...but any bike that crashes down a cliff is likely to be seriously damaged.

Its nice having a "good" bike.So get whatever you want and not what you think other people want.

If anything I know that no one cares about what my "good" bike is and there will always be a "better" bike.

Sure ...do your homework...ask questions and opinions....and then buy the bike that "speaks to you"...the one that you "like" and will want to ride.If that does not happen you will end up regretting the purchase of that bike.

I hate post purchase regrets ...........I do not regret buying a Volcan....its a "good" bike....done thousands of tough km's off road(including races)on it.

I am not married to it....it is a tool that does the job well.I do know that it is far superior to the other mountainbike it replaced.

The Volcan did not make me stronger/faster initially....now that I am fitter and much stronger I appreciate it even more...so it is still the rider that makes the difference.I know however that I will not want to ride anything "lesser".

If its time is up and I am up for an upgrade/additional bike I will :

-see what is available

-check my budget

-see what I like

-decide on the one that "talks to me".

If Volcan is just another Taiwanese bike just branded as Volcan, why does one need special hanger.

I have an FS-Pro - awesome machine

I am the first to acknowledge "it's not all about the bike".....I realise that the bike does not pedal itself and the rider is the "machine" that powers the bike.

These Volcan bikes are available even in far North Limpopo.Anyway we are 350 km North of Johannesburg and the LBS here offers full sale and service backup to Volcan bikes.

This weekend at Ysterberg 40 km mtb race 4 out of top 16 riders on the race rode Volcan:

The bikes were:

-29" XC Volcan

-26" FS1

-26" FS 2

-26" FS 1

Edited by cst68

• 1 month later...

I may be the newbie here but let me give you a little more inside information on this topic.

Volcan was originally founded in Switzerland and the money for the developement of the first bikes came from Switzerland.

Testing and further developement happened in South Africa. The bikes are currently not available anywhere else in the world.

The way it is looking right now, Volcan may be coming home and going into the swiss market in the near future.

Edited by Swizzbizz

• 2 months later...

My carbon Volcan FS2 26" dual suspension has served me well.

I have a Volcan FS2 and bust the rear drop out. Its 3 weeks and counting to get a new part from the guys here. Very very frustrating.

I have a Volcan FS2 and bust the rear drop out. Its 3 weeks and counting to get a new part from the guys here. Very very frustrating.

Try buycycle.co.za ?....surely your LBS cannot take 3 weeks?

Edited by cst68

Try finding a hangar for a 2008 Volcan. no luck, not even from Emotion Cycles. Mate of mine has been waiting for ages. Don't ask him about his opinion of Volcan. Not pretty.

Quality first post there Swissbizz. I assume you are working for the local suppliers and that you will never make another post that does not concern Volcan?

Try buycycle.co.za ?....surely your LBS cannot take 3 weeks?

I dont believe it there it is - I have been hassling the distributor for weeks for a part as no bike shops near me have any stock. Cheers!

I dont believe it there it is - I have been hassling the distributor for weeks for a part as no bike shops near me have any stock. Cheers!

Great