Cluster Question

cadenceblur

Hi There

Need some advice on a cluster question.

I am in the process getting a new set of wheels - they come with a 11 - 25 cluster. My current set up has a 12 - 28 cluster. I am wanting to use the 11 - 25 on my current wheels as a training wheel set, what I need to know is whether I can just swop the wheels at a whim? Or will my settings need to be adjusted whenever I do the swop?

The difference between a 12 and 11 is less top end speed for same cadence while a 28 v 25 is easier spinning on the steeper hills. Because you have 10 cogs with a difference of 16 on a 12-28 as opposed to 14 on a 11-25 the step ups are slightly larger which may mean difficulty in finding a comfortable gear to use.

Only you can decide if you want to push different gears when racing.

Edited by petatodd

thanks, and as for the gearing settings? would any adjustment be required? would the rear derailleur need adjusting?

Surely training on a 11 - 25 would potentially increase strength / performance?

thanks, and as for the gearing settings? would any adjustment be required? would the rear derailleur need adjusting?

Surely training on a 11 - 25 would potentially increase strength / performance?

No, a 11 21 will make you stronger.

As long as you have a 10 spd cluster on both wheels you shouldnt need to change because the spacing between is the same. If you have a 9spd on one set and a 10 spd on another then you will have problems. Consider as well that 10spd and 9spd chains are different widths to accomodate cog spacings. Campag 10spd and Shimano 10 spd will not work together. Sram as far as I know works with Shimano though.

As long as you have a 10 spd cluster on both wheels you shouldnt need to change because the spacing between is the same. If you have a 9spd on one set and a 10 spd on another then you will have problems. Consider as well that 10spd and 9spd chains are different widths to accomodate cog spacings. Campag 10spd and Shimano 10 spd will not work together. Sram as far as I know works with Shimano though.

thanks they are both 10 speed, so should not have a problem then!

Campag 10spd and Shimano 10 spd will not work together

they will work fine, as long as they are on 2 different wheels. The freebody differs between them, but you can have 1 wheel with shimano, and one wheel with campy and swap them as you please - there is no difference

You should be able to swap wheels without too many issues.

The freewheel body pisition can differ marginally from one wheel to another though.

Some small adjustments may indeed be required in order to ensure a smooth running chain.

Also, consider chain and sprocket wear as this could also affect performance.