Touring solo-advice please?

Sepia

I am planning a solo cycle trip from East London to Cape Town via the coastal route along main roads. I do not have to be anywhere at a certain time so it is strictly a tour.

I would appreciate some comments by those in the know who have toured previously.

Dual suspension? Advantages and disadvantages?

Cleats or flats with straps?

Tubeless or tubes? Currently have tubeless Crossmark ust plus other tyres.

Trying to do this on the cheap and as there is no rush, would prefer doing a bit of off road here and there with panniers removed.

Thanks

I have toured with my dual suspension as it's my only bike, lock up the suspension when unnecessary, avoid carrying too much on your back, use a small carrier (fits only onto seatpost), wear MTB (shimano) flat shes with recessed cleats and just carry a light pair of slops. Where are you planning to overnight (ie tent or B&B etc)?

Distances?

Sounds like a fantastic tour, would love to join you if I had the time..............

I have toured with my dual suspension as it's my only bike, lock up the suspension when unnecessary, avoid carrying too much on your back, use a small carrier (fits only onto seatpost), wear MTB (shimano) flat shes with recessed cleats and just carry a light pair of slops. Where are you planning to overnight (ie tent or B&B etc)?

Distances?

Sounds like a fantastic tour, would love to join you if I had the time..............

Thanks for the advice Moriarty.

Coming off an injury and need to build up. Think max 100k's day to start so there is no rush. Staying over with mates along the way. Doing the motorways and some bush (without panniers) along the route hence using my MTB. Plan to have a good jol along the way. Slowly, slowly .......Thinking of using the Sherpa rack which fits onto the rear skewers -recommended. Trying to avoid the tent thing but who knows? Using a handle bar bag and that is it.

I did quite a bit of touring years back. It is a story. Carried all my gear on panniers. Deserts are a bitch. You can end up carrying 15 kg of water.

Mostly toured on a Cnnondale MTB no suspension at all. A bit hard on the bum

Suggestions please?

Which wheels should I be using?

DP 17 - Tubeless

Bontrager race lite - tubeless

Mavic 14? (Standard heavy "came with bike rim") - tubes

I would appreciate your input. Thanks