Drifting Trikes

Caerus

I've still got pleanty reasearch to do in terms of the geometry and wheelbase, there are plenty of online sites around to read from. It's actually amazing how big this is overseas, and has a growing market in SA now, it was the same with the downhill longboarding, its popularity has exploded within the last year, the guy from Gunslinger has made an absolute killing selling boards/ parts and accesories. The funny thing is he has done exactly what some guys are doing within the bicycle industry, buys from China and just rebrands the decks/ wheels etc, good on him for getting in there :thumbup:

It would be easy enough to order one off the shelf, but I think a lot of fun will be had in building my own.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those tubes look like they have been rolled. Best I guess is use a steel bmx frame head tube and fork and then weld a rolled steel tubing in for the rest. Jirre those trikes look like fun.

Those tubes look like they have been rolled. Best I guess is use a steel bmx frame head tube and fork and then weld a rolled steel tubing in for the rest. Jirre those trikes look like fun.

They look like an absolute jol, the look of excitement on the faces of the guys I saw going it, said it all really. The steel bmx frames are like hens teeth to find though. I've got a mate that can do all the rolling/bending and welding for me, just need to find the right frame/fork/ wheel first

They look like an absolute jol, the look of excitement on the faces of the guys I saw going it, said it all really. The steel bmx frames are like hens teeth to find though. I've got a mate that can do all the rolling/bending and welding for me, just need to find the right frame/fork/ wheel first

But you'll still come pip with a trike if you push the limits to extreme fun?

:P

But you'll still come pip with a trike if you push the limits to extreme fun?

:P

Yeah, got to get me a full face helmet & some leathers till I can get some experience. I've found out where to get the rear wheels locally today and from Oz as well, will be getting my brother in law to send me some, and found an old go cart that someone built I can hopefully buy that I can strip for parts. I got lots sourced today already. I'm pretty amped for one of these things, extreme fun here we come.

You don't know of any secret places/ decent pawn shops in Durban I can scour for an old BMX frame?

Yeah, got to get me a full face helmet & some leathers till I can get some experience. I've found out where to get the rear wheels locally today and from Oz as well, will be getting my brother in law to send me some, and found an old go cart that someone built I can hopefully buy that I can strip for parts. I got lots sourced today already. I'm pretty amped for one of these things, extreme fun here we come.

You don't know of any secret places/ decent pawn shops in Durban I can scour for an old BMX frame?

Wanted ad on gumtree will work but may take a week or three

or just scour the pawnshops like crazy - there must be one lurking somewhere , maybe try those enormous pawnshops on the bluff

Wanted ad on gumtree will work but may take a week or three

or just scour the pawnshops like crazy - there must be one lurking somewhere , maybe try those enormous pawnshops on the bluff

Thanks for that :thumbup: , will be going this weekend.

Thanks for that :thumbup: , will be going this weekend.

Tumbles posted a link to another thread that was started in 2011. To save you going back...

Drift Trikes

Having being contemplating this for a while now (After seeing the video on the Awesome thread a while back) and having a look at the details on the other thread, I don't think geometry and wheel base are that critical. They are however important! The more relaxed the headangle I reckon the "lazier" the steering will be. More upright will make it react quicker and seem almost twitchy. If you have a longer wheelbase it will be harder to "flick" and you will need a fair bit of speed to keep it there.

Thanks for the kickstart though. I am now going to seriously look at building one of these trikes. :thumbup:

Tumbles posted a link to another thread that was started in 2011. To save you going back...

Drift Trikes

Having being contemplating this for a while now (After seeing the video on the Awesome thread a while back) and having a look at the details on the other thread, I don't think geometry and wheel base are that critical. They are however important! The more relaxed the headangle I reckon the "lazier" the steering will be. More upright will make it react quicker and seem almost twitchy. If you have a longer wheelbase it will be harder to "flick" and you will need a fair bit of speed to keep it there.

Thanks for the kickstart though. I am now going to seriously look at building one of these trikes. :thumbup:

I've come across a great Facebook group, got some good info from one of the guys there last night.

Agreed that the geometry & wheelbase is not critical, but important. The mates that I sometimes skate with are pushing to build as well, none of us have a bakkie to transpost us though, lol.

I've come across a great Facebook group, got some good info from one of the guys there last night.

Agreed that the geometry & wheelbase is not critical, but important. The mates that I sometimes skate with are pushing to build as well, none of us have a bakkie to transpost us though, lol.

What do you need a bakkie for.......

Here's a Trek TR20 BMX for R800 I saw on good 'ol gumtree just now :

http://durban.gumtre...QAdIdZ404014235

I honestly can't see you getting a bike of that quality for much less than that , even at a pawnshop

The parts are probably quite entry level but decent , not sure if you could work with the geometry though but it may even be an advantage.

Edited by Skylark