Weight vs Comfort

Mojoman

If the bike Gods continue to smile upon me I should be able to get a new bike soon. I am around 100kgs and could easily (hopefully!) drop to around 92-94kgs. My current bike weighs around 15kgs (GT Av1 with heavy stuff on it!).

What would give me less fatigue at the end of the day? Losing weight and getting a lighter hardtail/building a lighter hardtail or still losing some weight and getting a heavyish dual suspension that may be softer on these bones and ass (I say heavish as my budget wont let me get anything light and fancy in this segment, looks like they are around 14kgs anyway?).

road or mtb?

even the lightest of bikes are comforable nowadays depending on handlebars, seat etc, to me its more a trade off between cost, reliability and weight and on that note esprcilayy on MTB many will argue there is too much ranting on going light and why not dropping your body weight and so on, all valid arguments. for me though even if all thats said and done, specifically for MTB, i think it makes sense to keep the bike light because its just a massive diffirence hogging a 9kg bike over ruts and rocks than a 15kg

road or mtb?

Didn't know they made dual susser road machines!? :eek:

Anyway - my choice - rather the Dual Susser. More comfort goes a loooong way, and can easily outweigh the weight savings of a racing hardtail. Plus, do you want to "play" with the thing? Then the dual susser is the one to go for. Maybe have a look at something with a bit more travel than your XC only machines, as it seems that you value your comfort over all out speed. Plus, you're the same weight as I am, and I knwo I'd be uncomfortable if I had to sit on an all out race machine for 4 hours every ride. I'd far rather be going slower, but more comfortably.

Plus - the heavier bike will make you train faster!

BTW - one of my mates is doing the Epic next year. He rides a Giant Reign. He's fit. He's fast. And you know what? I think he'll have FAR more fun on that than if he was doing it on a 29er HT. Why? Cos he loves the rough stuff and WILL be looking for things to jump off and on to.

get full sus bike and work on yourself, a hardtail even a 29er is hard on your body and very hard on 100kgs of body. you want a bike that you will ride cos it puts a smile on your face. a hardtail will punish you and you will ride it less. a decent sensible FS will reward your lack of skill, will allow you to rest more and will put a smile on your face the size of china when you rip singletrack and downhills. so you will be a little slower up the hills, a) who cares as you will catch up later and B) work on yourself.

2 years ago i rode in A bunch at argus with my fancy deep section wheels, next to me was a MTBker with hairly legs and a dirty MTB. guess what, he finished sub 3.

Didn't know they made dual susser road machines!? :eek:

Anyway - my choice - rather the Dual Susser. More comfort goes a loooong way, and can easily outweigh the weight savings of a racing hardtail. Plus, do you want to "play" with the thing? Then the dual susser is the one to go for. Maybe have a look at something with a bit more travel than your XC only machines, as it seems that you value your comfort over all out speed. Plus, you're the same weight as I am, and I knwo I'd be uncomfortable if I had to sit on an all out race machine for 4 hours every ride. I'd far rather be going slower, but more comfortably.

Plus - the heavier bike will make you train faster!

BTW - one of my mates is doing the Epic next year. He rides a Giant Reign. He's fit. He's fast. And you know what? I think he'll have FAR more fun on that than if he was doing it on a 29er HT. Why? Cos he loves the rough stuff and WILL be looking for things to jump off and on to.

I was looking at a Trance, I thought the Reign might be a bit of overkill for me.

I am not that fast, but am not all that concerned about going faster... just longer!

I was looking at a Trance, I thought the Reign might be a bit of overkill for me.

I am not that fast, but am not all that concerned about going faster... just longer!

I think the Trance is a VERY versatile bike. 120mm travel, good geo and a very nice bike.

If I were to buy again that would be on my list.

I would go for a dual Sus MTB, it's very Comfortable and They not that heavy anymore!

I will never go back to a hardtail.