Getting chrome off road bike fork

Michal85

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum...please excuse if my questiions have previously been answered here.

I have a steel frame bianchi that I am busy converting to singlespeed, but the chrome one the fork is in a really bad state.

Does anyone perhaps know how to get the chrome off?

I wan't to get it off to show the bare steel.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

post-36959-0-03711700-1344925134.jpg

Take it to an electroplater and let them take it off for you. The process is the reverse of chroming.

However, the electroplater has to be exta careful since the steel can easily be compromised by too much current and too long in the bath. I've had one such job destroyed, but several done successfully. Just inspect the fork well after the job and look for deep pits that indicate the problem.

Are there any metallurgists on here? I wonder if the Cr in the CroMo can actually be leeched out by such a process?

Why not have it rechromed as well. That bike looks in good condition. What year is it? Rather restore the bike back to original IMHO.

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure about the year...any advise on how to check? Has STI's, but not sure if it was put on afterwards.

Will consider rechroming as well, not sure how much $$ it will cost.

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure about the year...any advise on how to check? Has STI's, but not sure if it was put on afterwards.

Will consider rechroming as well, not sure how much $$ it will cost.

I think they'll charge you the same to de-chrome or chrome. Chroming is cheap, do it.

Sounds like rechroming is the best option. Is new stickers easy to get, to stick back on afterwards?

Thanks

The lilttle blue sticker is Columbus Steel sticker. Columbus is Italian. Good luck in communicating with them. Try one of the British suppliers of bike tubing. They send stickers with each tubeset you buy from them, perhaps they will sell you one. The Mavic one...why bother advertising for them? Less is more.

As those butch Pet Shop Boys used to say.. "It's a sin..." If you have a sample of the decal, Tyerone here on the hub will make replicas for you.

The stickers are easy to get off of ebay - search the retro bikes thread here for a good seller ex Australia.

Do i need to do anything to prep the fork for rechroming or is it not necessary? (Except take stikers off)

Can anyone recommend a place in the northern suburbs?

Thanks!

Light sandblast to remove old chrome and possibly even powder coat in any colour?

Edited by cst68

My gut feel would be to leave the fork as is, it doesn't look too bad at all, there is a lot to be said for keeping a bit of character. I was also considering a respray and chrome job on my single speed but am glad that I kept the original paint and Reynolds stickers. A new paint job would have left the bike looking like a new knock off anyway and like a like the more vintage look.

Light sandblast to remove old chrome and possibly even powder coat in any colour?

Alternatively a new fork may be even more cost effective than re chroming.

Problem with new fork is it won't have the bianchi sign engraved.

Fork looks much better on the photo than actual - chrome is chipping off badly.

CST68, i assume you are talking about an other option, rather than chroming?

Thanks for the replies!

Got to africa electro plating the restore old chrom parts for bikes cars ect they in industrya