I'm 31 years old had have been riding my mtb for about a year now. my max hr has been increasing over the last couple of months. it used to be 181 and is currently at 190 at at max.

when i do the maths with hr formula it is supposed to be 180.

is this supposed to tell me something?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nope. Max HR (the one where you take your age off of 210 or something) is just a guideline for those who are new to the sport. Your increased fitness will also enable your heart to beat more efficiently, and freely. Means you can hit higher HRs more easily and stay there fr longer, as well as recover from those high HR efforts faster.

EG: My wife's max HR is on / around the 210 mark. She's Definitely not that young...

cool so Im not gona die! :) so the fitter you get the higher you hr will go?

Well, yes n no. The highr you will be able to push yourself. Generally though, your ability to recover will improve, but better fitness results in a better performing heart, so yeah, you may have been held back by your lack of fitness, previously

Lol. Cool. Just also,onitor it closely though. If it seems as if it's staying up for a bit longer than usual, and you can't get it to reduce as fast as normal, go see a doc.

220 is just a rough guide , if i went with mine i would be maxed majority of the time.

Best is to get it accurately done by the sports fitness boffins

I'm 31 years old had have been riding my mtb for about a year now. my max hr has been increasing over the last couple of months. it used to be 181 and is currently at 190 at at max.

Yes, 181 was never your max HR and the formula does not apply to you.

Max HR does not increase, it usualy decreases with age.

You need to do a proper Max HR test if you want to find your true max HR.

Everyone (endurance athletes) should do a proper max HR test at least once in their lives, just so that you know what it feels like.....

There are better ways to determine training intensity levels than the max HR method, i.e. Lactic threshold HR

Google it

Here's a starting place to look

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

Garmin says mine is supposed to be 185 b/pm. But I have seen 218 on a hill. That said, I am definitely not going to try that again, wasn't any fun at all. :wacko:

Edited by DaLoCo

Garmin says mine is supposed to be 185 b/pm. But I have seen 218 on a hill. That said, I am definitely not going to try that again, wasn't any fun at all. :wacko:

Yeah. I know what that feels like!

Do some more research on the interweb regarding maximum heart rates. You'll find it very interesting. Regarding the formulas, they are an average, but the distribution is very flat, meaning that it varies quite a lot from one person to the next. Mine incidentally work out pretty close to what the formulas predict.

Also, maximum heart rate is no indication of how good you are or can be. For example, they've tested olympic rowers in the same team and although they perform the same, the one's maximum was 160bpm and the other 210bpm.

Out of interest, how did you get the previous 181 and the current 190? Did you go really hard up a climb, interval, etc.?

This is all very interesting to me thanks for all teh replies, I have searched the web but didnt find what you are telling me.

to answer your question. I have a specific route that I train on atleast once a week and noticed that my hr keeps increasing when I check my monitor from week to week or month. this caught my attnention as I'm doing the same hills (with what it feels like to me the same intensity) and my hr keeps increasing.

I have noticed in the past that if I'm sick it goes of the charts, but this has not been the case.

I cant imagine what it feels like if your hr is 218.....lol

Have a look at the scatter graph if your HR software has this functionality. This will show you if you actually got to 218 or if it is an Irregularity

This is all very interesting to me thanks for all teh replies, I have searched the web but didnt find what you are telling me.

to answer your question. I have a specific route that I train on atleast once a week and noticed that my hr keeps increasing when I check my monitor from week to week or month. this caught my attnention as I'm doing the same hills (with what it feels like to me the same intensity) and my hr keeps increasing.

I have noticed in the past that if I'm sick it goes of the charts, but this has not been the case.

I cant imagine what it feels like if your hr is 218.....lol

that is why you shouldn'y train when you are sick. it puts too much strain on your heart.

This following was given as a good way to find your MAX heart rate.If you are fit and healthy

Get a hill of around 1 km long around 5-7% gradient.

Warm up around 10 to 15 minutes.

Go up the hill as fast as possible , come down again rest for 3-5 minutes . Go up the hill again as fast as possible.

You will hit your maximum if yoiu go up as fast as possible both times.

Record heart rate.