Bela Bela 5150

Garfield2010

I am Assuming I was going too fast and the ref wasnt happy with the gap I was opening to DaveM...

The race rules said you have to leave a gap of 10m. I took that to mean 10 minutes Garf.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Splits were just uploaded at http://www.5150.co.z...ts-certificates

Eish, swim she was good, run she was very bad!

Ja what can I say a whole 38 minutes slower than my last race at Germiston. Winter and the snuffles :thumbdown: . I suppose its a good kicker for the season just to show me how *** and unfit I am and best I get my **** together for midmar :thumbup:

Today I feel like a total idiot....I didn't do the 5150 although I entered because I thought "my head isn't into it"...

Trust me, I did all the training, bought all the gear, but somehow still mindfakked myself into thinking I cant do it...

After browsing through the pictures, I saw this guy, and now I feel very small...and stupid...hats of to this dude....

and this oompie as well...wow...I'm a real little prick... :mellow:

post-26043-0-49983100-1346395121.jpg

post-26043-0-86876200-1346395201.jpg

Edited by Karma

The old guy was 73 and did a sup 4hrs race. Makes be a little embarrassed that I only managed 3:42 :-(

I almost got beaten by the second guy as well, Hats off to these two especially, when/if I get old, I hope I am able to pull off a race like this still.

If I was disabled, I'm not sure I'd have it in me!

Edited by Jigghead

If I was disabled, I'm not sure I'd have it in me!

He may be half a leg short but he ain't disabled. Para triathlon has so many inspirational competitors. I believe it will be a Paralympic sport in Rio.

Respect. That other oke and his disabled child also raced. I always see him on the cradle on Saturdays. Also watching the paralympics yesterday made me realise that we must stop complaining. Those okes swim butterfly without arms way faster than I will ever swim freestyle normally.

He may be half a leg short but he ain't disabled. Para triathlon has so many inspirational competitors. I believe it will be a Paralympic sport in Rio.

OK, I agree, what I was trying to say is that the man is inspirational. We passed each other a few times on the run and I was left in awe and humbled every time.

Want some inspiration:

www.teamgarwood.co.za

Are these the same pair that did the Bela Bela race? I saw them and ka~ing off myself couldn't imagine what's required to carry that extra weight. Stories like this are as you say inspirational beyond words.

Simply awesome!!!

Edited by Jigghead

Surely to deal with drafting, they can install "random" timing mats and look at the time that you take to cross the mats. If there is a sub 3 second split, it's a 2 minute time penalty per infraction (can also be applied at the final water point / penalty tent). Those timing mats (even in the very high end races) look pretty low cost, so I can't see why they can't make use of more of them to sort out the drafting.

I'm also all in favour of time trial swim starts. This was how it was done in an Ironman race I did recently and it was pretty damn awesome. It was 3.8km of pure swimming and 0 seconds of wrestling and close combat underwater.

Surely to deal with drafting, they can install "random" timing mats and look at the time that you take to cross the mats. If there is a sub 3 second split, it's a 2 minute time penalty per infraction (can also be applied at the final water point / penalty tent). Those timing mats (even in the very high end races) look pretty low cost, so I can't see why they can't make use of more of them to sort out the drafting.

I'm also all in favour of time trial swim starts. This was how it was done in an Ironman race I did recently and it was pretty damn awesome. It was 3.8km of pure swimming and 0 seconds of wrestling and close combat underwater.

So if you pass someone on a timing-mat you get a penalty?

Hey Grips

Timing mats wont work otherwise you could not overtake at a mat. Refereeing needs people. Good experienced people.

How was NY?

Time trial starts might be an option at Bela Bela.

Are you riding tomorrow with Garf?