2013 Cape Epic on Silverback Storm 1

N-I-N-J-A

Agree with all above, except spending cash on a mechanical package. I got onto the Hub to ask about a good mechanic / mechanical package at the beginning of this year. A couple of the experienced guys who have done a few said I'd be wasting my money. On advice, I left it and rather had the bike thoroughly serviced just before Epic. It worked out perfectly. In fact, several guys who handed their mud covered bikes in after day 5 (in think it was? - the muddy one?) were pretty pomped in the morning when they got them back and they had issues that were never properly resolved, like derailleurs not shifting etc.

But go with the massages - that's worth every cent.

Some truth in there.

Mechanic = Check chain, Check brakes, check shock, wash bike and lube. Gives you an hour back to go a wash and eat and recover.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This year I rode a Full Sus and my partner a HT. He was fine all the way. Don't over spend on the bike, your Silverback sounds more than adequate.

If I may hijack the Thread at this point:

I am doing Epic again in 2013 and therefore my wife will come along to do Massage. She is a Physio of 20 years experience and worked for 4 teams this year and she plans to do the same again. Everyone was really impressed and happy with her knowledge and ability. So if you want to book a team slot with her, this is a chance to spend some money wisely for the Epic.

I would reckon that the Silverback Storm 1 is more then capable, will the rider be? :whistling:

I will be giving it my all to be (more than) capable!

Will be spending 3 weeks in the Knysna area over the Christmas period, so I plan on putting in some quality time in the saddle! (Will be missing the beers though!!)

This year I rode a Full Sus and my partner a HT. He was fine all the way. Don't over spend on the bike, your Silverback sounds more than adequate.

If I may hijack the Thread at this point:

I am doing Epic again in 2013 and therefore my wife will come along to do Massage. She is a Physio of 20 years experience and worked for 4 teams this year and she plans to do the same again. Everyone was really impressed and happy with her knowledge and ability. So if you want to book a team slot with her, this is a chance to spend some money wisely for the Epic.

Please PM me the details.

Surely if 1 rider is on a hardtail and the other on a dually they would not be equally fast on climbs and downhills/rough terrain, if the riders are more or less equal. But it all depends on how ernstig you are about time and if you mind waiting a bit.

Excellent value with Silverback, i have some doubts about the wheels though. Stans Crest are marketed as XC racing wheels and shown to be unkind to heavier riders. 70kg is well below the recommended weight but then you are going to punish them during the Epic.

Excellent value with Silverback, i have some doubts about the wheels though. Stans Crest are marketed as XC racing wheels and shown to be unkind to heavier riders. 70kg is well below the recommended weight but then you are going to punish them during the Epic.

Been riding the Crest wheels for a year now and not even a buckle. I am 65kgs. The American Classic 29er @1600g is probably the better option, but I think the Crests will be fine.

Putting heavier wheels on the Storm will piss off the MTB Gods.

Edited by Berg Bok

Been riding the Crest wheels for a year now and not even a buckle. I am 65kgs. The American Classic 29er @1600g is probably the better option, but I think the Crests will be fine.

Putting heavier wheels on the Storm will piss off the MTB Gods.

Perhaps, me i would still be cautious. The Epic is a lot of money to spend and i would hate for my race to be over if i could avoid it.

Some reviews

http://www.mtbr.com/...290_157crx.aspx

http://www.mtbr.com/...550_139crx.aspx

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/rim/stans-notubes/ztr-crest-29er/prd_450551_139crx.aspx

Edited by scotty

Go for comfort and reliability because its going to hurt no matter how much training you do .

Finished 158th on training an average of 10 hours a week but was thankful for a comfortable and reliable bike . So spending big money on a bike is not everything but it does help if you are fit and prepared .

If not the Crests, what would you recommend?

I have ZTR Arch and been riding 8 months with no problems but then i have not put them no where near the punishment they will go through on the Epic.

I'm sure many hubbers will have recommendation's and if you are buying from a shop perhaps they will swap the wheels. I did this with my road bike where the wheels it came with were not suitable for my weight and they swapped them out.

If not the Crests, what would you recommend?

I do not really see the "you have to get Crests" thing. I recently bought a unused set of P-XC2 29er wheels off the hub for R1250. These wheels features a DT 350 rear hub(only 50 grams heavier than the 240s hub) and a really nice 180gr Giant oem 15mm TA. The rims are 500 grams apiece with DT Competition spokes. All in all a 1.9kg set.

I also have a set of Crests (29er) weighing in at 1550 with Chosen hubs and DT Revolution spokes. If you ask me which wheels I prefer when I go to Mankele for the weekend, it will have to be the "cheap" set. But that's just me.

The American Classic 29er @1600g is probably the better option

But the Crests wheels will be fine! You can buy my P-XC2 with the DT 350 hub wheels for R1000, but I wont do that if I were you, its too heavy!. But if you get the Storm, I would just use the Crest wheels. If need to upgrade from heavy wheels, go for the standard American Classic Tubeless wheelset @strong @1600g.

Get a 29er dually, and get the American Classics.

Edited by Berg Bok

But the Crests wheels will be fine! You can buy my P-XC2 with the DT 350 hub wheels for R1000, but I wont do that if I were you, its too heavy!. But if you get the Storm, I would just use the Crest wheels. If need to upgrade from heavy wheels, go for the standard American Classic Tubeless wheelset @strong @1600g.

Get a 29er dually, and get the American Classics.

I am riding a momsen al729 for 9 months .I weigh 96kg and have crests on the bike .I was considering doing the pioneer with this bike because i like it so much ,but then i have never ridden it for more than 3 hours at one time .Will be using a giant anthem 29er with mavic wheelset instead

I am 89kg and have ridden a Pioneer and Epic back to back on the same set of Crest's . Plus plenty training and other races in between.

Crest's are light and strong.