Roasty advice needed

Stevief

Shiieeet now im confussed, some oaks say dry others say bandage, guess im off to the chemist, but whatever happens im still going to have a whisky or 5. And i cant even bear the pain with a cloth let alone a scrubbing brush...u kidding right?

Very serious. Dirt is the enemy. Get it clean and keep it clean! You need to get out all the stuff that was forced in when you crashed.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I once lost most of my skin down my right hand side. We are talking about a scrape that was somehow on my foot inside my shoe, ankle, calf, knee, thigh, hip, butt, back and shoulder - even into my armpit. My cycling top an t-shirt was burnt into the edges of the wound. It was not a pretty sight. NAF was I going to hospital to let a nurse I didn't know scrub half my body. I have had lots of roastie cleaning experience anyway.

My method:

Lie in a bath doused with most of a large bottle of dettol. Forget taking the nail brush as you would to your toenails. Shove a large piece of biltong in your mouth to bite on. It helps to limit the screams somewhat. Rather, place the nail brush gently on the bleeding exposed flesh and in a short flicking motion brush outward. Pause. Scream. Breathe. Lick the biltong to stop passing out. Breathe more and Repeat. Every now and again you find you have enough courage to get in 3 or 4 flicks with the brush between screams. This helps to finish before the bath is ice cold and you are beginning to cramp.

Bactraban and those second skin moist bandages were used extensively and I haven't got any scars.

I hope you have cleaned it by now. As for ointments you cant beat Bactroban with parrafin gauze. For initial cleaning after accident get some Remicaine jelly at chemist and apply to area then you can scrub and wash clean after a few min. Its a local anaesthetic in a gel that hospitals use.

The problem with covering it is that if you don't use some form of moist gauze (like Jelonet) the bandages and dressings will most likely stick to the wound. Then when you take the dressings off you rip the wound open at the same time (been there, done that). Letting it dry leads to hard dry scabs, which itch like mad. In that case you either have to resist scratching them or scratch away and live with the scars (once again - been there, done that).

Seeing as this was posted yesterday, I assume the area has already been cleaned. To be honest, if it was me, I'd just let them dry and keep an eye out for any smells or infection-like indications. I'd just clean the area everyday and use some Bactroban if it struggles to heal.

Ate some tar at speed in a peleton in tour duran thanks to twit. Lost a fair bit of skin. Had to go to hospital to check for broken bones and proper clean up due to large area of missing skin.

The kind nurse scrubbed the are gently with a sponge and warm dettol. Where dirt was embedded a scrubber was used.

Morphine was given due to other injuries

Jelonet was applied on my back and shoulder roasties, the knee roasties were left open.

The roasties covered by the jelonet healed so well there is barely a scar - alwqys use it now for big roasties.

Clickc sell jelonet.

Edited by Andrew_ew

Thanks for the advise guys. I cleaned it out last night in the bath, damn it hurt like hell i wish i thought of the biltong trick. I did have e few scotches to numb the pain. I used the staaldruppels afterwards that almost killed me. Then put on bactroban and have covered it wtih breathable bandage/plaster thingie i got from the chemist. Its still bloody painful i plan on doing this routine for 2 more days then letting it dry out a bit. At least the bandage protects the open wound from sticking to my pants.

Cool. Half of that biltong stuff was tongue in cheek :P

I wore a sheet like a toga for close to 4 weeks. Couldn't go out anywhere as I couldn't wear pants around my hips.

Cool. Half of that biltong stuff was tongue in cheek :P

I wore a sheet like a toga for close to 4 weeks. Couldn't go out anywhere as I couldn't wear pants around my hips.

Wear a dress... :whistling:

I came off in yesterday's D2D... Pharmicist recommended that second skin spray (not sure the brand). Problem is its not exactly preventing the area from oozing.... So i have an indiscreet oosy wet patch on my upper right thigh pants leg! :eek:

Did I do it wrong or is that expected. Reading above looks like maybe I need to get me some "jelonet"...

I came off in yesterday's D2D... Pharmicist recommended that second skin spray (not sure the brand). Problem is its not exactly preventing the area from oozing.... So i have an indiscreet oosy wet patch on my upper right thigh pants leg! :eek:

Did I do it wrong or is that expected. Reading above looks like maybe I need to get me some "jelonet"...

Dude, I was oozing so much I couldn't leave the house for two weeks. Well, since I couldn't wear anything but a sheet and I was so sore I didn't really want to either...

Dude, I was oozing so much I couldn't leave the house for two weeks. Well, since I couldn't wear anything but a sheet and I was so sore I didn't really want to either...

Man alive I hear you. OK by the sounds if it the extent of your injury was way more than mine so I pity you - actually cannot believe how sore this thing is since late afternoon yesterday... is that normal - ie about a day later?

Anyway I abandoned the spray and now after a second opinion have applied tagaderm(?) second skin type dressings - seems more effective at keepin everying in - though still oosing out the sides! Lovely stuff.

Here's the damage after the race but before all the oosing started :oops:

post-23367-0-46765700-1346749760.jpg