IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

Nice times.

The guy that won the maximum - 2.2km/88km/22km came in at 4h28 ... incredible. He was like 15 mins ahead of 2nd place

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda glad it was a tough day for me at Jailbreak, I now know on what I should focus for the next 6 weeks.

Swim was good, bike was great, run was terrible.

When I got of the bike I felt 100%, but 500m into the run I know I had problems. My stomach just felt full of fluids (like I had drunk 2L of Energade!) and it was very uncomfortable to run. Side stitch didn't help. Will have to do some more brick sessions where I ride like 50km and then go run. Think my nutrition might have been to blame... but good to know where the problem areas are now.

How were your times?

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. My swimming is stronger than last year this time. Bike is also stronger on the shorter rides. My longest ride was 80km. My shins are killing me on the long runs which is suppose to be my strongest discipline.

My swim is on par with last year, bike should be stronger and run definitely not as strong, but this year I am running without ITB.clap.gif

1.1km swim

44km bike

11km run

thumbup1.gif @ JGR

Those are good times for the swim, bike and run. I'll be happy with that. How does the run profile compare to EL?

Edited by Blindspot

thumbup1.gif

Those are good times for the swim, bike and run. I'll be happy with that. How does the run profile compare to EL?

The run in EL is quite tough imho - there is a hill which you do twice (2 laps) which has about a 70m meter gain over about a km, this coupled with running at mid day in high humidity after a hilly bike ride - it is harder than Jailbreak run which had on one or two little bumps and was mostly flat.

The run in EL is quite tough imho - there is a hill which you do twice (2 laps) which has about a 70m meter gain over about a km, this coupled with running at mid day in high humidity after a hilly bike ride - it is harder than Jailbreak run which had on one or two little bumps and was mostly flat.

Haha, I know Bunkers. It's hard enough that it will never be erased from one's memory. I was more interested in the Jailbreak profile. It looks like a lekker race. Will maybe do it in the future.

Haha, I know Bunkers. It's hard enough that it will never be erased from one's memory. I was more interested in the Jailbreak profile. It looks like a lekker race. Will maybe do it in the future.

Its flat and fast, both the ride and the run. Swim is in a dam so not that much congestion - very hot and can be windy at times. Had about 500 entrants and you can chosse from a few distances.

Its quite a nice race but if you are not a local to the WC i would reccommend Slanghoek Tri - which is in the same area but nicer ride and run and slightly longer distances. 1,2km/55km/12.5km.

How were your times?

Not sure about my exact times. but about:

Swim - 0:20

Bike - 1:26

Run 1:23

plus transitions. Final time was about 3:20

I'm capable of running that distance in 1:00 or maybe 1:05 (I'm not a super fast runner), but yesterday I fell apart. But I'm positive it will be fixable before 20 Janthumbup1.gif

Less than 6 weeks to race day. Is it making you excited or a bit nervous?

Not nervous as all. More like **** scared. eek.gif

Scared of not finishing or scared to suffer

neither really - scared of the clock ticking and that training flattened out the last 3 weeks instead of picking up...

Its good though - I think a little fear can be healthy sometimes - hoping it will kick me into gear. 4 weeks of quality training still possible.

neither really - scared of the clock ticking and that training flattened out the last 3 weeks instead of picking up...

Its good though - I think a little fear can be healthy sometimes - hoping it will kick me into gear. 4 weeks of quality training still possible.

I know how that feels!!! then weather comes into play, xmas appointments with friends and family and then voila its race day. You then vow never to leave it this late again .... but more than likely we will have the same convo next year whistling.gif

Hi All,

i am gonna be in CapeTown From 21 dec.

I thought it would do me well to do some ocean swims in my wetsuit.

Anyone know of a nice/Proper/Decent spot...Or do I just Pitch and Play and Pray to be safe???unsure.png

Hi All,

i am gonna be in CapeTown From 21 dec.

I thought it would do me well to do some ocean swims in my wetsuit.

Anyone know of a nice/Proper/Decent spot...Or do I just Pitch and Play and Pray to be safe???unsure.png

If you really have to, go anywhere, but without a wetsuit. The cold water will make you numb so it will be less painful when you swim into a shark.

Stumpy

Try Fishhoek for some swimming interval training. Just float out and splash your arms around. Wait till you see the grey triangle. Then SWIM!

You will be damn fast in EL.