IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

From only doing one race, can attest that the bunches form quickly and are definitely unavoidable on the return leg...my tact is to try outrun them as best I can, otherwise, sit back and relax :apparently refs are stopping bunches this time and releasing one at a time - want to avoid this if possible and possible overtake them in the confusion

I also passed a lot of guys on TT bikes in aero position on the out-leg this year and I was on road bike. I personally wont be using my TT bike this year: Road bike will be faster on the upride

Downride will definitely be easier on TT, as well as maybe outrunning the bunches, but not too concerned, just tryin to crack sub 6 hours this time!

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there really more to gain on a 15kph climb in aero position other than drafting as opposed to sitting up?

Definitely not.

Wind resistance is an exponential factor. Double the speed, the resistance squares. At lower speed the wind resistance factor is far less, unless in a raging headwind (then hide behind your water bottle).

I base the sit-up conversion point on my cadence, once I lose that nice smooth cadence and have to grind the pedals, it is time to sit up. Sitting up opens the chest so you get more air into your lungs. In fact on a tough climb, slide back on the saddle lengthen your arms and get your chest open as much as possible. The extra oxygen will help you keep your heart rate in control.

So, how do you guys/gals keep up with the training program with all the rain over last couple of days? According to the weather report it will go on like this until Sunday. I only went for two 10km runs this entire week. Unfortunately there is no gym with an indoor pool nearby.

Or is it a matter of HTFU?

So, how do you guys/gals keep up with the training program with all the rain over last couple of days? According to the weather report it will go on like this until Sunday. I only went for two 10km runs this entire week. Unfortunately there is no gym with an indoor pool nearby.

What part of EC are you?

Training in Cape Town is the hidden disipline. Its raining and 15 deg outside and im supposed to be swimming after work thumbdown.gif

Its not always a case of HTFU as half the time your bravado just gets you a cold and you are out of a week instead of missing a session. I try plan weekly or fortnightliy distance i need to do and plan around the weather a few days before. I try to remain flexible and have alt plans. IDT and sufferfest DVD work a charm ...running on a treadmill is dead boring so maybe do some speed work or intervals instead of a long run.

What part of EC are you?

Somerset East. I'll bet its one of the best places to train for 70.3. A lot of hill training for the bike and run. I don't mind cycling or running in the rain, if it is not raining too hard, but it is just not safe most of the times. If a car appears out of the mist only 20 meters in front of you then it is a no go for me.

I don't need much of an excuse to skip the swimming though.ph34r.png

Training in Cape Town is the hidden disipline. Its raining and 15 deg outside and im supposed to be swimming after work thumbdown.gif

Its not always a case of HTFU as half the time your bravado just gets you a cold and you are out of a week instead of missing a session. I try plan weekly or fortnightliy distance i need to do and plan around the weather a few days before. I try to remain flexible and have alt plans. IDT and sufferfest DVD work a charm ...running on a treadmill is dead boring so maybe do some speed work or intervals instead of a long run.

Agree. Last year I got sick for being brave in the rain and lost almost 3 weeks training. IDT and treadmill are both dead boring and I cannot see myself going that route. You should get a medal for just swimming in Cape Town.

Now to google "sufferfest" whistling.gif

Agree. Last year I got sick for being brave in the rain and lost almost 3 weeks training. IDT and treadmill are both dead boring and I cannot see myself going that route. You should get a medal for just swimming in Cape Town.

Now to google "sufferfest" whistling.gif

Sufferfest makes IDT fun ...... The guys that need the medals are all those crazy open water swimming guys. I freeze in a 4mm and they rock a banana hammock

Ok so i just entered- Thanks to Blindspot bringing up this thread

I have also just entered!

clap.gif just in time too! apparently less than 200 places left...

clap.gif just in time too! apparently less than 200 places left...

That post finally made me enter, would have really sucked to do all the prep and not get a spot.

Ive been thinking about entering. But this year, has been hell on the amount of times Ive been sick. Training has been hell.

My goal was just to concentrate on swimming, and cycling done, and then if I have to 'run ... walk, run ... walk' to the finish ... then so be it.

Else I must just leave it, but I just love this race so much.

P.s. My wife asked me, why I want to do it so much. She thinks its a psychological / ego thing.

smile.png

Edited by bclark

Ive been thinking about entering. But this year, has been hell on the amount of times Ive been sick. Training has been hell.

My goal was just to concentrate on swimming, and cycling done, and then if I have to 'run ... walk, run ... walk' to the finish ... then so be it.

Else I must just leave it, but I just love this race so much.

P.s. My wife asked me, why I want to do it so much. She thinks its a psychological / ego thing.

smile.png

Just do it man. it sucks watching / hearing your mates go on about it (trust me that was me the last 2 years hence finally doing my first one). I will also be run/walk/running - just becasue thats how I roll (when not on wheels) Edited by dracs