Chain Reaction Cycles experience

Clinton1

my last correspondence with them was as follows: free shipping goes with Royal mail if the parcel weighs less than 2kg, if its more then it goes parcelforce, regardless of size or value.

..perhaps I should have added, no heavier either... as it wasn't :) Both packages were around the same size, value and weight yet one arrived Royal Mail and the other Parcelforce. Who knows who/why/how/what...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked and the second parcel was indeed tracked (even though standard delivery at R99 was requested). My parcel was also tracked right through to delivery so I seem to have got lucky on all counts here.

gallery_28653_1046_12408.jpg

Has anyone managed to argue with Customs if they charged you incorrectly?

i.e. you only had 1 article of clothing, but the rest of the package attracted 40%?

Has anyone managed to argue with Customs if they charged you incorrectly?

i.e. you only had 1 article of clothing, but the rest of the package attracted 40%?

I called a number and questioned what I had been charged. They worked through it systematically and concluded that they had indeed done it correctly. The post office chap who delivered it said I better query before paying as it was unlikely they would refund me once I had paid him the amount due.

I was given a Durban number to phone.

Hijack on. Anyone ordered from bike24.net out of Germany. Prices good and €20 postage. Campy prices not too bad. Hijack off.

Yeah, Ive used them a few times, no issues at all.

Damn you - just ordered my campy groupset from Probikekit. I thought I was getting a deal. Bike24's prices are impressive! R8k cheaper than what you would pay locally - and that includes customs and duties.

I have a good contact with them, he is superb to say the least. Their prices are good, thats a massive saving. Once again, how does a LBS justify that price difference :thumbdown:

I have a good contact with them, he is superb to say the least. Their prices are good, thats a massive saving. Once again, how does a LBS justify that price difference :thumbdown:

Ask your contact to get them to add ZAR to the currency choices... saves me needing to repeatedly whip out the calculator.

I just paid R411,62 Duty & VAT on a helmet bought from CRC for R687 (+ R199 for DHL shipping)

Lesson learned, don't buy helmets from CRC if you think it is going to be a bargain. :thumbdown:

Just got the little slip in the post for my latest CR order. XTR pedals and a set of Hope Race Evo brakes - all for wifey's bike :-(

Just totted it up - have spent about R30k in the last 2 years on Chain Reaction. I think golf may be a cheaper option...

Yes, but at least thats 30K well spent, and youre having jol and getting good exercise, you cannot compare, Golf sucks anyway.

Ask your contact to get them to add ZAR to the currency choices... saves me needing to repeatedly whip out the calculator.

I did ask them that before(I've done it with another site as well - Jorma, they are based in Andorra), they said they would get onto it, I'll mail him and ask, can't promise anything.

I just paid R411,62 Duty & VAT on a helmet bought from CRC for R687 (+ R199 for DHL shipping)

Lesson learned, don't buy helmets from CRC if you think it is going to be a bargain. :thumbdown:

Did you compare to local pricing? Even with 40% duties and VAT and clearance charges my order was still around half the price of what I would have paid locally.

I think that is what most of us are expressing annoyance at. We understand that the LBS has to pay duties on products but even when accounting for these the prices seem ludicrous.

I've had 13 shipments from CRC and never a minutes problem except for a Shimano Deore 10spd cassette that was sold to me as an SLX cassette and had a missing cog. I complained and they refunded me my cost.

Did you compare to local pricing? Even with 40% duties and VAT and clearance charges my order was still around half the price of what I would have paid locally.

I think that is what most of us are expressing annoyance at. We understand that the LBS has to pay duties on products but even when accounting for these the prices seem ludicrous.

I did, but as soon as I got those dreadful words so commonly known to our ears in South Africa "We don't have stock" I wanted to sh*t my pants!!

Anyway, so I went onto CRC, saw the lid I was looking for + it was a limited offer price of R687. Ordered it straightaway & opt for DHL delivery (R199) because my previous 2 orders never came through royal mail.

So in the end I was looking at R885 for a helmet and size & colour that I wanted and it was cheaper than buying local. Only after a few searches I came upon a thread here explaining duties & taxes etc, I didn't know about this until it was too late.

So in the end I paid R1296 for helmet I could have gotten for R980 locally.

Total sh*t experience :cursing:

Edited by FuelEX

Well, look at it like this - you paid an extra R 300 to have it NOW. That R 300 was worth 1 or 2 hours of your time, max. And you have the colour / model etc that you want, perhaps 3 weeks before you could have received it from the local agents.

Well, look at it like this - you paid an extra R 300 to have it NOW. That R 300 was worth 1 or 2 hours of your time, max. And you have the colour / model etc that you want, perhaps 3 weeks before you could have received it from the local agents.

And he never had to leave his home to get it.... :)