Hill 2 Hill 2012 Tyre choice?

KenG

I know the tyre subject has been covered (over and over), but I'm just not sure what to use for this years hill 2 hill.

I normally ride with maxxis Aspens, for their light weight and efficient rolling resistance. I do however sacrifice traction in the wet and they dont like the mud. As there is rain forecast for this week and it may even rain on the day, I'm intersested to know what others are doing or recommend.

I know it's a bit late, a day after the race, but if you're interested I rode Racing Ralphs (29er) and they were perfect. I loved the ride for its varied conditions with hardpack, mud, rocks, mud, tar, mud, steps, mud, roots mud, ruts and a bit of mud and I found the RRs to be spot on. I was able to get up those short sharp greasy slopes that other riders were spinning out on, I was able to keep my line on those steep slippery descents where tracks in the mud showed others had slewed off the line and they shed the clay pretty quickly once you got some speed up. Very happy with these tyres and I think they're reasonably light.

I rode with Maxiss Ikon's on the PYGA and they were great. Shed mud well and I did not fall once the whole day.

Also got up a lot of places, where others were spinning out.

I rode the very wet and muddy 45km with WTB ExiWolf Race tyres front and back on a KHS Flagstaff 29er which performed very well.